If you have a directory on your Ubuntu Linux, Unix, or macOS system and you want to rename it via the command line Terminal, you can make use of the mv - move files command.
mv dir-name renamed-dir
Let's take a look at a few examples:
Let's say you have a directory named mydir in the current directory and you want to rename it to mydir_archive.
% mv mydir mydir_archive
Let's say you have a directory named mydir directory somewhere and you want to rename it to mydir_archive. In this case, you need to provide the absolute paths.
% mv /Users/c2ctech/desktop/mydir /Users/c2ctech/desktop/mydir_archive
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Command to know the Available Memory on Linux System
- How to install curl on Alpine Linux
- How to backup a file in Linux/Unix
- Install Java Runtime Environment (Oracle or open JRE) on Ubuntu
- What is the Default Admin user and Password for Jenkins
- How to tar.gz a directory or folder Command
- Copy entire directory using Terminal Command [Linux, Mac, Bash]
- Fix: bash: ipconfig: command not found on Linux
- Command to check Last Login or Reboot History of Users and TTYs
- Linux: Create a New User and Password and Login Example
- ls command to list only directories
- bash: cls: command not found
- How to exit from nano command
- Installing and using unzip Command to unzip a zip file using Terminal
- What does apt-get update command does?
- ls command: sort files by name alphabetically A-Z or Z-A [Linux/Unix/macOS/Bash]
- How to remove or uninstall Java from Ubuntu using apt-get
- scp: ssh: connect to host xxxx port 22: Connection refused Error
- Sort ls command by last modified date and time
- Create Nested Directories using mkdir Command
- How to Exit a File in Terminal (Bash/Zsh)
- Command to know the installed Debian version?
- How to connect to SSH port other than default 22
- How to save a file in Nano Editor and Exit
- Install OpenSSL on Linux/Ubuntu
- Spring Boot + Redis Cloud Configuration and Setup Tutorial - Java
- How to create SharePoint Online List Item using REST API - SharePoint
- Programmatically check if Facebook is installed on Android device - Android
- How to Split a String in Python? - Python
- How to open CMD for current file/folder location in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- [Solution] IntelliJ: Cannot find declaration to go to, Nothing here, Java file outside of source root Errors - Java
- Java Spring Boot 3 Web Hello World with Gradle in IntelliJ - Java
- Fix: Missing the following required SSO configuration values: sso_start_url, sso_region - AWS