If you what to know the currently logged-in user, you can make use of the command whoami on the Linux Terminal.Example:
# whoami c2c
Now let's switch the user and check the same command,
# su mike # whomai mike
If you are writing bash scripts and want to get the currently logged-in user, you can make use of the $USER environment variable.
#!/bin/bash echo "The Current User: $USER"
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Rename a directory using Linux/Unix command
- ls command to list only directories
- How to Restart or Reload Nginx Server Service on Linux
- 3 ways to clear screen on Linux Terminal
- ls command: sort files by name alphabetically A-Z or Z-A [Linux/Unix/macOS/Bash]
- Copy entire directory using Terminal Command [Linux, Mac, Bash]
- Fix: sudo: unable to open Read-only file system
- Create Hidden File or Directory using Shell Command
- Command to know the installed Debian version?
- The Date Command and its usage [Linux - Unix - macOS]
- Fix - bash: man: command not found
- How to tar.gz a directory or folder Command
- How to Display content of a file in Terminal Screen?
- How to change bash terminal prompt string and color
- Sort ls command by last modified date and time
- Execute .bin and .run file Ubuntu Linux
- zsh hello world example
- How to check uptime of Linux/Unix/macOS system/server using console command?
- [Fix] Linux - bash: useradd: command not found
- Command to check Last Login or Reboot History of Users and TTYs
- How to install and Configure sar sysstat tools in Ubuntu Linux
- How to use SCP Command to Copy Directory
- Linux Remove or Delete Files and Directories using Terminal Commands
- How to connect to SSH port other than default 22
- Install OpenSSL on Linux/Ubuntu
- Install Gradle VS Code for Java Projects - Gradle
- Fix - bash: man: command not found - Linux
- Tomcat Manager Default Username and Password - Tomcat
- Create Symbolic Link using Terminal Command - MacOS
- Create Duplicate Line Visual Studio Code (above or below) Example - HowTos
- Stop a Running Command on macOS Terminal - MacOS
- List of Code Snippets/Templates to Eclipse IDE - Eclipse
- Perform Basic Authentication using cURL with Examples - cURL