In order to copy a directory entirely from one location to another in Linux/Unix/Mac/Bash you can make use of the below command,Syntax:
cp -r source-dir destination-directory-location
cp : This is the copy utility used to copy file or files from source to a target file/files.
-r : This option is used if the source is a directory, when used with cp - it copies the directory and the entire subtree of the directory to the destination, note this will also copy the symbolic links.
source-dir: location of the source directory. Note that it should be a directory.
destination-directory-location: the target location where the directory (folder) needs to be copied.
Let's say I have a directory myApp on my Desktop location and I want to copy it to /Documents
cp -r myApp /Users/code2care/Documents
Note that if you do not provide -r parameter you will get an error saying cannot copy as the source is a directory.
code2care@mac Desktop % cp myApp /Users/code2care/Documents cp: myApp is a directory (not copied).
All the files and subfolders will get copied!
- ls command: sort files by name alphabetically A-Z or Z-A [Linux/Unix/macOS/Bash]
- How to check uptime of Linux/Unix/macOS system/server using console command?
- How to create tar.gz file using Terminal Command
- How to List All Users in Linux
- How to check file permissions for your file using Linux/Unix/macOS Terminal Command
- How to exit from nano command
- How to go to the End of File in Nano Editor
- ls command sort by file size [Linix/UNIX/macOS/bash]
- scp: ssh: connect to host xxxx port 22: Connection refused Error
- How to tar.gz a directory or folder Command
- Linux: Create a New User and Password and Login Example
- How to install npm on Ubuntu
- Create and write file in single Linux/macOS command
- 3 ways to clear screen on Linux Terminal
- How to ls command to output one entry per line [macOS/Linux/Bash]
- Execute .bin and .run file Ubuntu Linux
- How to install and Configure sar sysstat tools in Ubuntu Linux
- Fix - ssh-copy-id no identities found error
- Terminal display next month Calendar
- Install Java Runtime Environment (Oracle or open JRE) on Ubuntu
- Fix - bash: man: command not found
- How to install curl on Alpine Linux
- Command to unzip or extract tar.gz file on Linux or macOS?
- How to Display content of a file in Terminal Screen?
- Copy entire directory using Terminal Command [Linux, Mac, Bash]
- Turn off Startup Sound on Mac running on macOS Ventura - MacOS
- W3 HTML validator warning Unable to Determine Parse Mode - Html
- How to Change or Set a new Password for your Wi-Fi Router - HowTos
- [Android] Sharing Multiple Images to Twitter App from your App - Twitter
- How to install Java 11 on Mac - Java
- How to open a new tab in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Obsolete marquee element alternatives html5 - Html
- [Ubuntu] Search a package and versions using apt command - Linux