You receive below error in SharePoint page containing DataForm web part with custom XSL applied, and also if your list contains a large number of columns.
Unable to display this Web Part. To troubleshoot the problem, open this Web page in a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible HTML editor such as Microsoft SharePoint Designer. If the problem persists, contact your Web server administrator.
Correlation ID: XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXXTroubleshooting
Based on the Correlation ID, search the SharePoint ULS Logs to find more information and error related to this message.
Tip - Use the Merge-SPLogFile PowerShell command (SharePoint Management Shell - Run as Administrator) to get relative logs.By digging into the logs, we get this useful error/exception - System.StackOverflowException
Reason for Error
Error while executing web part: System.StackOverflowException: Operation caused a stack overflow. at Microsoft.Xslt.NativeMethod.CheckForSufficientStack() at (XmlQueryRuntime , XPathNavigator ) at (XmlQueryRuntime , IList`1 ) at (XmlQueryRuntime , XPathNavigator ) at (XmlQueryRuntime , XPathNavigator , IList`1 , IList`1 ) at Root(XmlQueryRuntime ) at System.Xml.Xsl.XmlILCommand.Execute(Object defaultDocument, XmlResolver dataSources, XsltArgumentList argumentList, XmlWriter writer, Boolean closeWriter) at System.Xml.Xsl.XmlILCommand.Execute(IXPathNavigable contextDocument, XmlResolver dataSources, XsltArgumentList argumentList, XmlWriter results) at System.Xml.Xsl.XslCompiledTransform.Transform(IXPathNavigable input, XsltArgumentList arguments, XmlWriter results) at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.ExecuteTransform(XslCompiledTransform xslCompiledTransform, XsltArgumentList xmlArguments, Boolean bDeferExecuteTransform) at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.DataFormWebPart.PrepareAndPerformTransform(Boolean bDeferExecuteTransform)
Firstly, this is a known issue and a SharePoint 2010 limitation (KB 2639184 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2639184). Secondly, there is a Hotfix (Cumulative Update) to fix this.
This happens because the time allowed for doing the XSL transformation is exceeded and goes over 1 second (default SharePoint is 1 second).
If you create a page from SharePoint Designer which includes much of XSLT, the page will take more time to open. If the page takes more than than a second to open and load, you may come across this error.Suggestions
> Solutions provided here should work - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2639184
> Another KB which describes similar issue - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2597136Resolution
You need to execute below PowerShell command in SharePoint FARM from your SharePoint Server to change and increase the XsltTransformTimeOut value (default is 1 second)
Open SharePoint 2010 Management Shell 'run as administrator'
$spFarm = Get-SPFarm $spFarm.XsltTransformTimeOut = [NEW INTEGER VALUE] $spFarm.Update()
$spFarm = Get-SPFarm $spFarm.XsltTransformTimeOut = 10 $spFarm.Update()
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search - SharePoint
- Change Terminal Cursor Type in Mac (MacOS Shell) - MacOS
- How to change Android Button Color using xml attribute and programatically using java - Android
- WARNING: pip is being invoked by an old script wrapper. This will fail in a future version of pip. - PIP