⛏️ Fix [Today] volatile function error for SharePoint calculated field current dateWe trick SharePoint here by creating a dummy column to capture current date and overcome the volatile functions error for calculated column formula. This trick works for all SharePoint versions - MOSS, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2016, SharePoint 2019 and SharePoint Online (Microsoft Office 365).
- Create a new column called Today (Single line of text).
- Create a calculated column, name it anything you want, say 'CurrentDate'.
- In the formula, insert the column you created previously 'Today'.
- Set the data type to 'Date and Time'.
- Set the Date and Time format to 'Date Only'. You can even select Date & Time if you would want to use hours/minutes as well.
- Now delete the 'Today' column you created in first step. Don't worry, just go ahead.
- Add the 'CurrentDate' column to your view and check the value.
- You should see today's date in there.
- Modify the formula as required, you can use the column Today just like the function [Today] without any issues.
⚡️ Important - Calculated columns by design do not update the values automatically, the value updates only when the list item is modified/updated.
So if you go back to the view at a later point, you will still see the old date (the day when you set the formula) being referred in the formula.
We urge you to use Power Automate / FLOW to update the list item values instead of using calculated columns if you want the values to update on regular basis.
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- Trigger Flow on selected Listitem from SharePoint view - create button with JSON column formatting
- SharePoint Excel error - The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- How to show or hide columns in SharePoint Online List Library from
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- Special character & not working with SharePoint REST API
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- Deploy SharePoint wsp solution package using PowerShell
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- How to add animated Gif to SharePoint Online Page
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- SharePoint - Use Today's Date Time in list view filter and calculated column
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- How to save All Files at once in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Hide Scrollbar from Android Views - Android
- Microsoft Sign-in Error Code: 50058 (Request Id, Correlation Id and Timestamp) - Microsoft
- Android : Connection with adb was interrupted 0 attempts have been made to reconnect - Android
- How to Compare Strings in Bash Script - Bash
- Fix: Spring Boot REST HTTP Status 415 - Unsupported Media Type Error - Java
- Access Windows share folder in Ubuntu Device in Network - Ubuntu
- Change Android Toast background color - Android