When you try to do an SSH on a particular Linux or Unix-Like Server and you get an error "This account is currently not available" that's because the user has been disabled.
$ ssh -p 22 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com password: Last login: Wed Aug 2 11:23:51 2023 from firstname.lastname@example.org This account is currently not available. Connection to dev closed.
Reason for the Error:
The message indicates that the user is locked. If you are the root user, you can check it using the command,
$ passwd -S dev dev L 08/04/2023 0 99999 7 -1
As you can see the L next to dev user indicates that the user is locked.
How to fix it:
As a root user run the below command to enable the user again,
$ sudo passwd -u dev passwd: password expiry information changed.
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Rename a directory using Linux/Unix command
- ls command to list only directories
- How to Restart or Reload Nginx Server Service on Linux
- 3 ways to clear screen on Linux Terminal
- ls command: sort files by name alphabetically A-Z or Z-A [Linux/Unix/macOS/Bash]
- Copy entire directory using Terminal Command [Linux, Mac, Bash]
- Fix: sudo: unable to open Read-only file system
- Create Hidden File or Directory using Shell Command
- Command to know the installed Debian version?
- The Date Command and its usage [Linux - Unix - macOS]
- Fix - bash: man: command not found
- How to tar.gz a directory or folder Command
- How to Display content of a file in Terminal Screen?
- How to change bash terminal prompt string and color
- Sort ls command by last modified date and time
- Execute .bin and .run file Ubuntu Linux
- zsh hello world example
- How to check uptime of Linux/Unix/macOS system/server using console command?
- [Fix] Linux - bash: useradd: command not found
- Command to check Last Login or Reboot History of Users and TTYs
- How to install and Configure sar sysstat tools in Ubuntu Linux
- How to use SCP Command to Copy Directory
- Linux Remove or Delete Files and Directories using Terminal Commands
- How to connect to SSH port other than default 22
- Install OpenSSL on Linux/Ubuntu
- How to change font, apply bold or italic styles, font size in Windows Notepad - HowTos
- Java 8: Get First and Last Date of the Week for Given Date - Java
- How to Connect to AWS Windows EC2 UI Instance from M1 Mac (Updated) - HowTos
- 34: Traverse a List in Reverse Order - 1000+ Python Programming - Python-Programs
- How to convert Python datetime object to a String - Python
- Remove Now Playing icon from macOS Big Sur Menu Bar - MacOS
- How to Disable Mac Terminal Bell Sound - MacOS