In order to execute .run and .bin file in Ubuntu, they need to be marked as an executable type.
This can be achieved in two ways, through Terminal or using GUI ( Graphical User Interface)
- Move .run/.bin files to your Home Dir.
- Select the file + Right Click -> Properties.
- Go to Permissions tab.
- Tick the Allow executing file as program radio box (next to Execute).
- Now, Click, Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files.
- Close the Property Window.
Executing .Run/.Bin Files
- Double-Click the .run/.bin file.
- If noting happens, right click on the file and select Run in Terminal.
- Open Terminal
- We need to change the file type (cmod) as executable
chmod +x YourfileName.bin
Now execute the file
Note: If you get an error message like Permission Denied. Switch to the root user using sudo and run the file,
Note : .bin and .run files are though easy to install but not so easy to remove, it depends on the developer who made it, so please do check the uninstallation procedure before installing such files.
It is always advisable to download such files from a trusted source.
Some of such .bin or .run files may require root permissions to get them installed, as root access gives full access permissions to the file to your Operating system, which may lead to security issues.
- Rename a directory using Linux/Unix command
- ls command to list only directories
- How to Restart or Reload Nginx Server Service on Linux
- 3 ways to clear screen on Linux Terminal
- ls command: sort files by name alphabetically A-Z or Z-A [Linux/Unix/macOS/Bash]
- Copy entire directory using Terminal Command [Linux, Mac, Bash]
- Fix: sudo: unable to open Read-only file system
- Create Hidden File or Directory using Shell Command
- Command to know the installed Debian version?
- The Date Command and its usage [Linux - Unix - macOS]
- Fix - bash: man: command not found
- How to tar.gz a directory or folder Command
- How to Display content of a file in Terminal Screen?
- How to change bash terminal prompt string and color
- Sort ls command by last modified date and time
- Execute .bin and .run file Ubuntu Linux
- zsh hello world example
- How to check uptime of Linux/Unix/macOS system/server using console command?
- [Fix] Linux - bash: useradd: command not found
- Command to check Last Login or Reboot History of Users and TTYs
- How to install and Configure sar sysstat tools in Ubuntu Linux
- How to use SCP Command to Copy Directory
- Linux Remove or Delete Files and Directories using Terminal Commands
- How to connect to SSH port other than default 22
- Install OpenSSL on Linux/Ubuntu
- Fix: Sorry, we cant sync this folder, Youre already syncing a shortcut to a folder from this shared library [OneDrive] - Windows
- Know installed PowerShell Version on Mac - Powershell
- How to track and download Microsoft Teams meeting attendance report of participants/students - Teams
- reCAPTCHA Implementation Tutorial - CSS
- How to create Toast messages in Android? - Android
- Python: Replace the First Occurrence of String in a String - Python
- How to Show Path of Files or App in Mac Spotlight Search - MacOS