Taking screenshots is very easy and provides a lot of options to choose from, let's see them one by one,
How to take a full screen screenshot?
To take a full-screen screenshot all you need to do is press the keys: ⌘ Command + Shift + 3. When you press these three keys together you will hear a sound and a preview at the bottom right side of your screen of the screenshot that you just took of the whole screen.
By default the screenshot will be saved on your desktop with the default name such as - Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 3.44.39 PM this may vary based on what date format you follow based on your location.
How to take a cropped screenshot?
To take a cropped screenshot, you can press the keys: ⌘ Command + Shift + 4, when you do that you will see a cross-arrow cursor as shown below with the current position details displayed in numeric form. Move this cross arrow cursor to the position where you want to start your cropped screenshot and drag your mouse keeping the button (trackpad) clicked and leave when you want to take the screenshot. Again, once you leave your trackpad or the mouse, you will hear the click sound and the image will be saved on your desktop.
Below is a Gif example where we are trying to take a cropped screenshot of the terminal app.
How to take a screenshot of a Window or a Menu?
This option lets you capture the complete window that you want to capture. Example: Let's say I have two windows open - Safari and Terminal and I want to capture all that I see in the terminal window, then I can make use of the keys: ⌘ Command + Shift + 4 + Spacebar
As you can see in the above demo, as I press the Command + Shift + 4 + Space keys, a camera icon appears and as I move my cursor between applications it highlights them. When I clicked on the terminal application the click sound was played and the image got saved on the desktop. Note the captured image is stored as a .png file with a nice gradient at the borders of it.
Where is the screenshot files saved?
As we have seen in all three cases the files are stored on the desktop with the name "Screen Shot [date] [time].png"
What is the extension of the screenshot image?
The extension of the screenshot image file is .png in lowercase.
How to change the default location where screenshots are saved?
Yes, you can change the default location where the screenshots taken are saved by going to the "Screenshot App"
- In Spotlight Search look type: Screenshot and open the App,
- Now you will see Options, click on it,
- You should see options "Save to: Desktop, Documents, Clipboard, Mail, Messages, Preview, Other Location..." to choose from.
- Once you select your choice the default location will get updated.
How to take screenshot using Screenshot Application?
The Screenshot application is similar to the Snipping tool application that you must be familiar with on the Windows 10 and 11 Operating System Ecosystem.
- In Spotlight Search look type: Screenshot and open the App,
- You will see a dotted window that you can adjust using the cursor,
- Click on Capture to take the print screen.
Note: Again as you can see in the above image you get all the various options to take a screengrab,
- Capture Entire Screen
- Capture Selected Window
- Capture Select Portion
- Record Entire Screen
- Record Selected Portion
How to capture the cursor in the screenshot?
Do you have a use case where you want to even capture the cursor in the screen image? you can enable this option by going to the Screenshot app and selecting the option: "Show mouse pointer"
Note: This will only work when you take a full-screen capture? I guess so!
How to take a screenshot with a delayed timer?
If you have followed the points that we have tried to cover then you must have noticed that under the Screenshot app Options, we have even the options to take delayed screenshots based on setting a timer to either 5 or 10 seconds. By default, the timer is set to none.
Change the default screenshot shortcuts key configurations?
If you wish to change the default keyboard key combinations to your custom ones, you can do that by clicking on the Apple logo on the Menu bar and select System Preferences... > Keyboards > Shortcuts > Screenshorts
How to take screenshot of touchbar screen?
If you have a Macbook Pro that has a Touchbar, you can take a screenshot of the touch bar screen as well! yes, that's true, just press: ⌘ Command + Shift + 6 keys.
How to take with external Keyboard on Mac Mini (non-Apple Mac Keyboard)?
If you have a Mac Mini that does not come with a keyboard and you are using a Windows-compatible keyboard with it, it will work, but there is no ⌘ Command key on it, so either you have to go to Keybaord System Preferences and do your mappings for the Command Key to the Windows icon key and all the shortcut options should work for you .
Note: Some features may not work on older macOS, all examples provided in this guide are using M1 Macbook Air running macOS Big Sur.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to change default macOS Terminal Window size
- Create Symbolic Link using Terminal Command
- How to check zsh installed version using terminal
- How to save webpage as pdf using macOS Safari
- Display ls command file sizes in KB (kilobytes) MB (megabytes) or GB (gigabytes) [Linux/macOS]
- How to remove username from Mac Menu Bar?
- Set Python 3.8 as a default python version on macOS
- bash: command not found error [macOS Terminal Linux, Unix or Windows]
- This operation couldnt be completed. Unable to locate a Java Runtime. [macOS]
- ls: .: Operation not permitted - Mac Big Sur Terminal Zsh Error
- Big Sur unsupported Mac [macOS]
- How to load zsh profile on opening shell terminal
- Terminal Command to get the list of available shells in macOS
- [macOS] Change homepage Macbook Safari Browser
- How to create alias in macOS
- [macOS] NetBeans IDE cannot be installed. Java (JRE) found on your computer but JDK XX or newer is required.
- Display full website address in Safari macOS Browser
- How to fix command not found brew (bash, zsh) on macOS Terminal
- Test internet speed using macOS Terminal command
- How to Restart Mac using Terminal Command
- Show CPU and Memory Usage on macOS Menu Bar
- How to know your Mac Screen Resolution?
- How to know installed version of Homebrew
- How to do calculations in Mac Terminal
- How to Display Analog Clock on Mac Menu Bar
- Android Studio Error:(19, 0) Gradle DSL method not found: android() - Android-Studio
- Align html element at the center of page vertically and horizontally - Html
- Division between two numbers - C-Program
- How to know file encoding in Microsoft Windows Notepad? - Microsoft
- Search text in Eclipse Console logs - Eclipse
- [Fatal Error] XML The markup in the document following the root element must be well-formed. - Java
- Android is starting optimizing... app 1 of 1 - Android
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name - SharePoint
- Change the background of Tkinter label or text - Python
- Find Covid-19 Vaccine centers on macOS or iOS Maps App - News
- How to access SharePoint Online data using Postman - REST API and Bearer token - SharePoint
- Fixing Android unknown error 961 while downloading app - Android
- How to open Terminal in Mac to run commands - MacOS
- Disable jQuery button after being click - jQuery
- List of Code Snippets/Templates to Eclipse IDE - Eclipse
- Locate MainActivity Java or Kotlin file in Android Studio - Android-Studio
- Fetch as Google Crawl Error or Redirected Status - Google
- Officially Send WhatsApp message using webpage (html) - WhatsApp