There are many commands that we use in Terminal often that may have many parameters (optional parameters) or are hard to remember and may take a while to type, alias command can help you to create shortcuts or name such commands with aliases that can help you speed up.
As Zsh is the default shell for macOS Big Sur (was made default since Catalina I suppose), I was trying to set my own aliases on my new MacBook, here is some examples of them that I have been using lately which you may find useful or get ideas from to create your own.
Note: If you are looking for how to set aliases follow this article:
desktop: Most often I save files on my desktop, so whatever directory I am and I want to go to desktop this alias takes me there,
alias desktop='cd /Users/code2care/Desktop'
temp:In order to know the temperature of my place, I run a curl command that displays weather details.
alias temp='curl wttr.in/chicago'
stop/start tomcat: Wherever I am, tying start my tomcat or stop my tomcat service. As a developer you might be using some other programming languages such as PHP, NodeJs and their application servers - you can make aliases for them as well.
stackoveflow: This one is my favourite, when I am stuck and need help, I type this alias command and Safari opens stackoveflow.com in a new tab.
alias stackoverflow='open https://stackoveflow.com'
sublime: Opens Sublime Text Editor.
alias sublime='open -a /Applications/Sublime\ Text.app;'
- How to find path of file on Mac Terminal
- How to disable Siri on Mac Monterey
- [fix] macOS Ventura xcrun: error: invalid active developer path missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun
- Select Line Number TextEdit on Mac
- Go to Specific file path using Mac Finder
- How to find Java HOME in Mac Terminal
- bash: command not found error [macOS Terminal Linux, Unix or Windows]
- Must Know Homebrew Commands for Mac/Linux Users
- How to Insert an Inverted Question Mark on Mac ¿
- Hide Keyboard Text Input Icon on macOS Ventura Menu Bar
- How to make macOS Terminal window Transparent (or Opaque)
- How to check of Updates on Microsoft Edge Browser on Mac (macOS)
- Limit scrollback rows in macOS Terminal
- How to identify installed Java (JDK) Version on macOS
- Keyboard Shortcut to delete a file on a Mac [Macbook]
- Open Docker from Terminal Command on Mac
- Installing MongoDB on Linux/Unix/macOS/Ubuntu
- How to take a screenshot on a Mac - updated for Ventura 13 [updated 2023]
- ls: .: Operation not permitted - Mac Terminal ZSH Error
- How to remove username from Mac Menu Bar?
- macOS Ventura XCode Command Line Tools Installation
- Where is .zshrc file located in macOS
- How to Show Path of Files or App in Mac Spotlight Search
- How to enable root user on Mac Terminal
- Install Java 17 (LTS) JDK on ARM based M1/M2 Mac Natively
- Replace delimiter with new line in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Implementing Bubble Sort Algorithm using Java Program - Java
- Check Internet Connection WIFI 4G is active on Android Programmatically - Android
- [Fix] Spring Boot: mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure - Java
- Java: The value of the local variable string is not used - Java
- ls command sort by file size [Linix/UNIX/macOS/bash] - Linux
- How to replace with space - HowTos
- How to run React Native App using Android Studio Emulator - Android-Studio