There are many commands that we use in Terminal often that may have many parameters (optional parameters) or are hard to remember and may take a while to type, alias command can help you to create shortcuts or name such commands with aliases that can help you speed up.
As Zsh is the default shell for macOS Big Sur (was made default since Catalina I suppose), I was trying to set my own aliases on my new MacBook, here is some examples of them that I have been using lately which you may find useful or get ideas from to create your own.
Note: If you are looking for how to set aliases follow this article:
desktop: Most often I save files on my desktop, so whatever directory I am and I want to go to desktop this alias takes me there,
alias desktop='cd /Users/code2care/Desktop'
temp:In order to know the temperature of my place, I run a curl command that displays weather details.
alias temp='curl wttr.in/chicago'
stop/start tomcat: Wherever I am, tying start my tomcat or stop my tomcat service. As a developer you might be using some other programming languages such as PHP, NodeJs and their application servers - you can make aliases for them as well.
stackoveflow: This one is my favourite, when I am stuck and need help, I type this alias command and Safari opens stackoveflow.com in a new tab.
alias stackoverflow='open https://stackoveflow.com'
sublime: Opens Sublime Text Editor.
alias sublime='open -a /Applications/Sublime\ Text.app;'
- How to find files taking up space on your Mac
- How to open new tabs macOS Terminal
- Encode or Decode Base64 String using Mac Terminal Command
- How to take a screenshot on a Mac? (updated for macOS Monterey 2022)
- [macOS] NetBeans IDE cannot be installed. Java (JRE) found on your computer but JDK XX or newer is required.
- How to know your Mac Screen Resolution?
- How to make macOS Terminal window Transparent (or Opaque)
- [macOS] Change homepage Macbook Safari Browser
- Cut, Copy and Paste keyboard commands on mac
- Shutdown Mac Terminal Command
- Zsh Shell: Custom alias that you may find useful
- How to uninstall GarageBand from Mac
- How to Refresh Mac Desktop
- How to fix command not found brew (bash, zsh) on macOS Terminal
- How to Right Click on Mac Desktop?
- How to remove app from Dock when closed [macOS Big Sur]
- How to display directory tree in Mac Terminal
- [Eclipse] Locate Preferences in macOS
- How to save webpage as pdf using macOS Safari
- Set Python 3.8 as a default python version on macOS
- 10 Beginners Commands for macOS Terminal Usage
- Display Seconds in Digital Clock on Mac Menu Bar [macOS]
- [Solution] macOS Big Sur Installation: There is not enough free space, Additional Space Required
- How to search (find) in macOS Terminal Console Text
- How to come out of dquote prompt in Terminal - macOS/Linux
- sudo is not recognized as an internal or external command - Windows
- Spotify is down for iOS and Android globally - error no internet connection available, something went wrong - News
- Unable to establish connection to adb : Android Studio Error - Android
- How to Use Command Prompt on a Mac? - MacOS
- Force convert HTML text input to upper case - Html
- Tutorial : Simple Lightweight Pure CSS based Vertical Navigation Menu - CSS
- Hide Navigation Bar from Android Screen Activity - Android
- SQL: Check if table exists - HowTos