SharePoint Modern view provides an OOTB (Out Of The Box) way to show or hide columns in a List or Document Library form based on value for another field. You can use a formula to perform condition based checks on values in a SharePoint column.
✔️ Steps to show or hide columns on SharePoint from based on condition
- Navigate to your respective list or library.
- Click 'New' or open any List Item (or document properties) to view the Display form.
- Click "Edit form" from the top right corner of the form.
- Click "Edit Columns".
- Click on menu option (...) which is at the far right side of the column name.
- In the dialog popup, enter the custom condition formula, which will show/hide this current column based on the value of another column.
- Click Save.
- Return to your form and test the behavior.
Assume we have a SharePoint List for maintaining project details. The form asks user if 'approval is required ?' (Yes/No field) for the project. If approval required is Yes, then 'Approver Name' field is shown; if No, then the Approver field is hidden.
Use the earlier steps to add conditional formula for the 'Approver Name' column (as this is the field for which we want to toggle the visibility), copy and paste below formula. Change the field name if you are using a different name.
=if([$ApprovalRequired] == true, 'true', 'false')
⭐ Points to consider
- Conditional show/hide of columns works on New and Edit forms, not on display because its only a view form.
- The conditional formula does not work with Quick Edit view (Edit in grid view).
- Comparison and evaluation values true and false are case-sensitive, type in lower case.
- The condition formula works only when it returns true or false values.
- Refer to the field with internal name in this format - [$FieldInternalName].
- This approach hides the respective field in the New/Edit forms and not from the view. To hide the field from the view, modify the view.
- These column types are not supported
- Person or Group with multiple selections
- Choice with multiple selections
- Time calculations in Date and Time column
- Currency columns
- Location columns
- Calculated columns
- Managed Metadata columns
✌️ Conditional formulas examples
Single line of text / Choice - equals
=if([$ProjectCategory] == 'Information Technology', 'true', 'false')
Number - greater, less, equal
=if([$ProjectCost] >= 5000, 'true', 'false')
Number - sum
=if(([$Cost] + [$Tax]) > 1000, 'true', 'false')
Yes/No - Yes or No (boolean)
=if([$ApprovalRequired] == true, 'true', 'false')
Person - email account equals
=if([$Approver.email] == 'c2cAdmin@code2care.com', 'true', 'false')
Date - equal, less, greater (check the date format)
=if([$ProjectKickoffDate] == Date('3/7/2021'), 'true', 'false')
Date - between 2 dates
=if([$ProjectKickoffDate] >= Date('6/10/2021') && [$ProjectKickoffDate] <= Date('7/10/2021'), 'true', 'false')
Lookup - equals (check the lookup value)
=if(substring([$Category],indexOf([$Category],';#')+2,500) == 'Migration', 'true', 'false')
Lookup - equals (check the lookup id)
=if(Number(substring([$Category],0,indexOf([$Category],';#'))) == 1, 'true', 'false')
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- Microsoft Edge browser error on MAC - This page is having a problem Try coming back to it later - Microsoft
- Java location in Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- How to record PowerPoint slide show presentation on Mac - narration, slide timings, ink gestures - Microsoft
- Android : Execute some code after back button is pressed - Android
- How to Update Chrome Browser on Mac? - Chrome