SharePoint Modern view provides an OOTB (Out Of The Box) way to show or hide columns in a List or Document Library form based on value for another field. You can use a formula to perform condition based checks on values in a SharePoint column.
✔️ Steps to show or hide columns on SharePoint from based on condition
- Navigate to your respective list or library.
- Click 'New' or open any List Item (or document properties) to view the Display form.
- Click "Edit form" from the top right corner of the form.
- Click "Edit Columns".
- Click on menu option (...) which is at the far right side of the column name.
- In the dialog popup, enter the custom condition formula, which will show/hide this current column based on the value of another column.
- Click Save.
- Return to your form and test the behavior.
Assume we have a SharePoint List for maintaining project details. The form asks user if 'approval is required ?' (Yes/No field) for the project. If approval required is Yes, then 'Approver Name' field is shown; if No, then the Approver field is hidden.
Use the earlier steps to add conditional formula for the 'Approver Name' column (as this is the field for which we want to toggle the visibility), copy and paste below formula. Change the field name if you are using a different name.
=if([$ApprovalRequired] == true, 'true', 'false')
⭐ Points to consider
- Conditional show/hide of columns works on New and Edit forms, not on display because its only a view form.
- The conditional formula does not work with Quick Edit view (Edit in grid view).
- Comparison and evaluation values true and false are case-sensitive, type in lower case.
- The condition formula works only when it returns true or false values.
- Refer to the field with internal name in this format - [$FieldInternalName].
- This approach hides the respective field in the New/Edit forms and not from the view. To hide the field from the view, modify the view.
- These column types are not supported
- Person or Group with multiple selections
- Choice with multiple selections
- Time calculations in Date and Time column
- Currency columns
- Location columns
- Calculated columns
- Managed Metadata columns
✌️ Conditional formulas examples
Single line of text / Choice - equals
=if([$ProjectCategory] == 'Information Technology', 'true', 'false')
Number - greater, less, equal
=if([$ProjectCost] >= 5000, 'true', 'false')
Number - sum
=if(([$Cost] + [$Tax]) > 1000, 'true', 'false')
Yes/No - Yes or No (boolean)
=if([$ApprovalRequired] == true, 'true', 'false')
Person - email account equals
=if([$Approver.email] == 'c2cAdmin@code2care.com', 'true', 'false')
Date - equal, less, greater (check the date format)
=if([$ProjectKickoffDate] == Date('3/7/2021'), 'true', 'false')
Date - between 2 dates
=if([$ProjectKickoffDate] >= Date('6/10/2021') && [$ProjectKickoffDate] <= Date('7/10/2021'), 'true', 'false')
Lookup - equals (check the lookup value)
=if(substring([$Category],indexOf([$Category],';#')+2,500) == 'Migration', 'true', 'false')
Lookup - equals (check the lookup id)
=if(Number(substring([$Category],0,indexOf([$Category],';#'))) == 1, 'true', 'false')
Have Questions? Post them here!
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help. (OSE403)
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- How to open SharePoint Online Modern SPFX links in new tab
- Show Hide SharePoint column in List Library form with the conditional formula
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- SharePoint installation - Appfabric installation failed because installer MSI returned with error code:1603
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- Get count of SharePoint List or Document Library Items using PowerShell
- Sign in as different user missing in SharePoint 2013, how to enable
- How to make TextView Text Transparent [Android] - Android
- JSON Nest Objects Example: JSON Tutorial - Json-Tutorial
- Google translate in spreadsheet - Google
- SharePoint update append Required Field to display name of mandatory columns - SharePoint
- How to make a div tag clickable - Html
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site - SharePoint
- Android : Neither user 10085 nor current process has android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE - Android
- Android-Failed to install apk on device EOF Timeout Error - Android
- HTML5 HELLO WORLD Example - Html
- Calculate Area of Square - C-Program
- How to get the Android OS installed version programmatically - Android
- List of Eclipse IDE Versions and future releases : Mars and Neon - Eclipse
- [Eclipse] Syntax error, annotations are only available if source level is 1.5 or greater - Eclipse
- How to Generate Self-Signed OpenSSL certificate in three easy steps - HowTos
- Change Title text for Android Activity using java code - Android