SharePoint Modern view provides an OOTB (Out Of The Box) way to show or hide columns in a List or Document Library form based on value for another field. You can use a formula to perform condition based checks on values in a SharePoint column.
✔️ Steps to show or hide columns on SharePoint from based on condition
- Navigate to your respective list or library.
- Click 'New' or open any List Item (or document properties) to view the Display form.
- Click "Edit form" from the top right corner of the form.
- Click "Edit Columns".
- Click on menu option (...) which is at the far right side of the column name.
- In the dialog popup, enter the custom condition formula, which will show/hide this current column based on the value of another column.
- Click Save.
- Return to your form and test the behavior.
Assume we have a SharePoint List for maintaining project details. The form asks user if 'approval is required ?' (Yes/No field) for the project. If approval required is Yes, then 'Approver Name' field is shown; if No, then the Approver field is hidden.
Use the earlier steps to add conditional formula for the 'Approver Name' column (as this is the field for which we want to toggle the visibility), copy and paste below formula. Change the field name if you are using a different name.
=if([$ApprovalRequired] == true, 'true', 'false')
⭐ Points to consider
- Conditional show/hide of columns works on New and Edit forms, not on display because its only a view form.
- The conditional formula does not work with Quick Edit view (Edit in grid view).
- Comparison and evaluation values true and false are case-sensitive, type in lower case.
- The condition formula works only when it returns true or false values.
- Refer to the field with internal name in this format - [$FieldInternalName].
- This approach hides the respective field in the New/Edit forms and not from the view. To hide the field from the view, modify the view.
- These column types are not supported
- Person or Group with multiple selections
- Choice with multiple selections
- Time calculations in Date and Time column
- Currency columns
- Location columns
- Calculated columns
- Managed Metadata columns
✌️ Conditional formulas examples
Single line of text / Choice - equals
=if([$ProjectCategory] == 'Information Technology', 'true', 'false')
Number - greater, less, equal
=if([$ProjectCost] >= 5000, 'true', 'false')
Number - sum
=if(([$Cost] + [$Tax]) > 1000, 'true', 'false')
Yes/No - Yes or No (boolean)
=if([$ApprovalRequired] == true, 'true', 'false')
Person - email account equals
=if([$Approver.email] == 'c2cAdmin@code2care.com', 'true', 'false')
Date - equal, less, greater (check the date format)
=if([$ProjectKickoffDate] == Date('3/7/2021'), 'true', 'false')
Date - between 2 dates
=if([$ProjectKickoffDate] >= Date('6/10/2021') && [$ProjectKickoffDate] <= Date('7/10/2021'), 'true', 'false')
Lookup - equals (check the lookup value)
=if(substring([$Category],indexOf([$Category],';#')+2,500) == 'Migration', 'true', 'false')
Lookup - equals (check the lookup id)
=if(Number(substring([$Category],0,indexOf([$Category],';#'))) == 1, 'true', 'false')
Have Questions? Post them here!
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- Trigger Flow on selected Listitem from SharePoint view - create button with JSON column formatting
- SharePoint Excel error - The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- How to show or hide columns in SharePoint Online List Library from
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- Special character & not working with SharePoint REST API
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- Deploy SharePoint wsp solution package using PowerShell
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- How to add animated Gif to SharePoint Online Page
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- SharePoint - Use Today's Date Time in list view filter and calculated column
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- Configure AWS Access ID and Secret Keys using CLI on Mac - AWS
- [Solutions] Android Error in an XML file: aborting build. Eclipse SDK - Android
- How to connect to Microsoft Exchange Online using PowerShell - Powershell
- How to use Autocomplete and Autosuggestion in Shell Commands - Bash
- 16: Find the largest element in a List - 1000+ Python Programs - Python-Programs
- How to reset Eclipse IDE Code Font - Eclipse
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net - SharePoint
- Docker MySQL Compose File with Volume Example - Docker