You may receive an error "The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly" (clientRequestId and serviceRequestId GUID with the 400 message) while setting the value of a Managed Metadata column (from Term Store).
The error may popup in different scenarios.
- Copy paste value from excel to SharePoint list column using Grid View or Quick Edit.
- Update the column value using Power Automate Flow (Status 400).
- Update the column value via .Net, Client side code.
- Update the column value using SharePoint Designer workflow.
- Update the column value using REST API.
- Update the column value using JSON.
This problem occurs because of the way SharePoint stores the value of MMD Term. Along with the Term Name, the GUID (unique identified) of the Term is also appended.
In the above image, the value of column MMD is copy-pasted as "Asia", but that fails because SharePoint requires the value as Term|GUID (separated with a pipe symbol).
How to find GUID of MMD Term?You can find the GUID (unique identifier) for the Term from the SharePoint Term Store.
You can also find the GUID from SharePoint Hidden Taxonomy List
- Navigate to "Site Settings".
- Under "Site Administration", click "Term Store Management".
- Expand the Taxonomy and click on the respective Term.
- Scroll down and look for "Unique Identifier". Copy the value.
Now use the MMD column value as Asia|0e4ac5b1-4b60-8030-4791-ea6580ab44f0 in Grid View or Power Automate List Item update step.
If you are copying bulk values from excel, replace all values as Term/GUID and then paste in SharePoint grid view.
⭐ Easy trick to get GUID of MMD Term
Navigate to Quick Edit and select the desired Term in the Managed Metadata column. Now copy the value from the cell and paste it somewhere (Notepad, Notepad++, Excel), the Term automatically has the GUID copied over. Paste it in List Grid View, the value will get resolved now 😊.
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- How to wrap column text in SharePoint Online Modern List Grid View using JSON formatting
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- Cannot load PowerApps form in SharePoint Online due to repeated authentication
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- SharePoint 2010 DataForm Unable to display this Web Part System.StackOverflowException
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- Drag drop files here option missing for SharePoint document library
- How to activate and create SharePoint Spaces feature for mixed reality experience - 2D/3D images and web parts
- [Fix] Office 365 Sharepoint One Drive Error: Something went wrong. This is a temporary issue
- SharePoint 2016 error - Could not find file ManageUserProfileServiceApplicationTenantSimplified.xml
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- SharePoint Online REST API not returning all list items and limit to only 100 rows
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- Fix java.net.ProtocolException: Invalid HTTP method - Java
- Android Studio: Cannot perform refactoring operation - Android-Studio
- [Solution] Spring Tool Suite (STS) support for JSP (JAVA EE) - Eclipse
- How to uninstall Visual Studio Code on macOS - MacOS
- Adding internet permission to Android Project - Android
- How to Vertically Center Align Text in a Div using CSS Code Example - CSS
- Java: Generate random numbers within a range - Java
- How to remove Floating Action Button Android Studio Blank Activity Template - Android-Studio