You may receive an error "The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly" (clientRequestId and serviceRequestId GUID with the 400 message) while setting the value of a Managed Metadata column (from Term Store).
The error may popup in different scenarios.
- Copy paste value from excel to SharePoint list column using Grid View or Quick Edit.
- Update the column value using Power Automate Flow (Status 400).
- Update the column value via .Net, Client side code.
- Update the column value using SharePoint Designer workflow.
- Update the column value using REST API.
- Update the column value using JSON.
This problem occurs because of the way SharePoint stores the value of MMD Term. Along with the Term Name, the GUID (unique identified) of the Term is also appended.
In the above image, the value of column MMD is copy-pasted as "Asia", but that fails because SharePoint requires the value as Term|GUID (separated with a pipe symbol).
How to find GUID of MMD Term?You can find the GUID (unique identifier) for the Term from the SharePoint Term Store.
You can also find the GUID from SharePoint Hidden Taxonomy List
- Navigate to "Site Settings".
- Under "Site Administration", click "Term Store Management".
- Expand the Taxonomy and click on the respective Term.
- Scroll down and look for "Unique Identifier". Copy the value.
Now use the MMD column value as Asia|0e4ac5b1-4b60-8030-4791-ea6580ab44f0 in Grid View or Power Automate List Item update step.
If you are copying bulk values from excel, replace all values as Term/GUID and then paste in SharePoint grid view.
⭐ Easy trick to get GUID of MMD Term
Navigate to Quick Edit and select the desired Term in the Managed Metadata column. Now copy the value from the cell and paste it somewhere (Notepad, Notepad++, Excel), the Term automatically has the GUID copied over. Paste it in List Grid View, the value will get resolved now 😊.
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- Update SharePoint Online List Item using REST API, HTML, Spfx, Postman
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- Create SharePoint list from Excel spreadsheet and import table
- Send Email using SharePoint PowerShell command, SMTP server
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- The service instance
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to change order of fields on new item form for SharePoint Online list
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- Unable to connect to the Internet : Google Chrome - Chrome
- Reopen previously closed tab in Google Chrome - Chrome
- Install postgres Client using apt-get command - Ubuntu
- Access URL for SharePoint Tenant Admin Center (Online Office 365) - SharePoint
- Minecraft Java Edition - Java
- Fix - Microsoft Windows Error Code: 0xA00F4244 NoCamerasAreAttached - Microsoft
- Convert Java Byte Array to String with code examples - Java
- macOS Big Sur java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError CoreFoundation - Android Studio - Android-Studio