You may receive an error "The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly" (clientRequestId and serviceRequestId GUID with the 400 message) while setting the value of a Managed Metadata column (from Term Store).
The error may popup in different scenarios.
- Copy paste value from excel to SharePoint list column using Grid View or Quick Edit.
- Update the column value using Power Automate Flow (Status 400).
- Update the column value via .Net, Client side code.
- Update the column value using SharePoint Designer workflow.
- Update the column value using REST API.
- Update the column value using JSON.
This problem occurs because of the way SharePoint stores the value of MMD Term. Along with the Term Name, the GUID (unique identified) of the Term is also appended.
In the above image, the value of column MMD is copy-pasted as "Asia", but that fails because SharePoint requires the value as Term|GUID (separated with a pipe symbol).
How to find GUID of MMD Term?You can find the GUID (unique identifier) for the Term from the SharePoint Term Store.
You can also find the GUID from SharePoint Hidden Taxonomy List
- Navigate to "Site Settings".
- Under "Site Administration", click "Term Store Management".
- Expand the Taxonomy and click on the respective Term.
- Scroll down and look for "Unique Identifier". Copy the value.
Now use the MMD column value as Asia|0e4ac5b1-4b60-8030-4791-ea6580ab44f0 in Grid View or Power Automate List Item update step.
If you are copying bulk values from excel, replace all values as Term/GUID and then paste in SharePoint grid view.
⭐ Easy trick to get GUID of MMD Term
Navigate to Quick Edit and select the desired Term in the Managed Metadata column. Now copy the value from the cell and paste it somewhere (Notepad, Notepad++, Excel), the Term automatically has the GUID copied over. Paste it in List Grid View, the value will get resolved now 😊.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- Aw Snap! Something went wrong while displaying this webpage Error code: STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH - Chrome
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct - SharePoint
- Add scroll to div element in HTML Css - CSS
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile - SharePoint
- Transfer files between Android and Mac OS X using usb cable - Mac-OS-X