Until the SharePoint Modern Interface arrived, developers had to create custom forms in order to hide or show fields to users.
Now, SharePoint gives you an OOTB (Out Of The Box) way to show/hide selected fields on SharePoint List or Document Library forms - New, Edit, Display. The data in the column is not impacted, just its visibility on the form.
✔️ Steps to show or hide a field in list or library form
- Navigate to your respective list or library.
- Click and open any List Item (or document properties) to view the Display form. You can also use the New form.
- Click "Edit form" from the top right corner of the form.
- Click "Edit Columns".
- Check/Uncheck to show or hide the column.
- Click Save.
⭐ Points to consider
- The show/hide applies to all 3 forms - New, Edit, Display.
- Columns which are Required/Mandatory cannot be hidden.
- Columns with conditional formulas cannot be hidden.
- Hold and drag-drop up and down to reorder columns, or click on the 3 dots towards the right and move the column up or down. This will rearrange columns on all 3 forms. refer steps here.
- To show or hide columns in SharePoint views, do it from the respective view. Make sure you apply it on a public view if it is for all users.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- Aw Snap! Something went wrong while displaying this webpage Error code: STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH - Chrome
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct - SharePoint
- Add scroll to div element in HTML Css - CSS
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile - SharePoint
- Transfer files between Android and Mac OS X using usb cable - Mac-OS-X