Until the SharePoint Modern Interface arrived, developers had to create custom forms in order to hide or show fields to users.
Now, SharePoint gives you an OOTB (Out Of The Box) way to show/hide selected fields on SharePoint List or Document Library forms - New, Edit, Display. The data in the column is not impacted, just its visibility on the form.
✔️ Steps to show or hide a field in list or library form
- Navigate to your respective list or library.
- Click and open any List Item (or document properties) to view the Display form. You can also use the New form.
- Click "Edit form" from the top right corner of the form.
- Click "Edit Columns".
- Check/Uncheck to show or hide the column.
- Click Save.
⭐ Points to consider
- The show/hide applies to all 3 forms - New, Edit, Display.
- Columns which are Required/Mandatory cannot be hidden.
- Columns with conditional formulas cannot be hidden.
- Hold and drag-drop up and down to reorder columns, or click on the 3 dots towards the right and move the column up or down. This will rearrange columns on all 3 forms. refer steps here.
- To show or hide columns in SharePoint views, do it from the respective view. Make sure you apply it on a public view if it is for all users.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help. (OSE403)
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- How to open SharePoint Online Modern SPFX links in new tab
- Show Hide SharePoint column in List Library form with the conditional formula
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- SharePoint installation - Appfabric installation failed because installer MSI returned with error code:1603
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- Get count of SharePoint List or Document Library Items using PowerShell
- Sign in as different user missing in SharePoint 2013, how to enable
- How to know if someone has read your WhatsApp message - WhatsApp
- Android Studio NoClassDefFoundError: java.awt.Toolkit - Android-Studio
- WhatsApp launches WhatsApp Web to Access Messages over web browser - WhatsApp
- What is Android Toast.LENGTH_SHORT and Toast. LENGTH_LONG durations - Android
- Check Wifi Connection static Android Programming - Android
- Android Constant and Resource Type Mismatches Lint - Android
- How to Word wrap eclipse console logs width - Eclipse
- How to hide Navigation bar from Android Screen Activity - Android
- Share image and text Twitter using your Android Application Programatically - Twitter
- WhatsApp Web escanner - WhatsApp
- Programmatically check if Facebook is installed on Android device - Android
- Install Apache Tomcat ver 8 on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10 - Mac-OS-X
- Disable Control Scroll Zoom-in and Zoom-out in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Can we move apps like WhatsApp, Facebook to external MicroSD card - WhatsApp
- Java: Check Internet connection on Android Device (Wifi or Mobile) - Android