Sharepoint Administrators face some unexpected errors while setting up the FARM, some have a standard known fix, but some do not. Here is an annoying error which you may face with the "Managed Metadata Service".
The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started.If you also see this error pop up in the Central Admin, here are some working fixes! Assuming you have SharePoint Server installed, you won't find this with SharePoint Foundation.
- First things first, check if the Managed Metadata Service is running (SharePoint Central Administration --> Manage services on server --> select Server --> start Managed Metadata Web Service).
- Navigate to IIS Server and check whether the Application pool for the MMD Service is started and running.
- Make sure the App pool account password for MMD service is not changed, if yes, then update the new password.
- From IIS, ensure IUSR is added in Anonymous Authentication.
- Make sure the SharePoint Web Application App pool account has minimum read Access to Term Store. You can fix this from Central Admin.
- Navigate to SQL server, rename the database "Managed Metadata Service" to any temporary name and set it back to the original, this works in some cases. The database name may vary depending on what the admin set it during FARM setup.
- Restrart the SQL Server, this works sometimes.
- If you see this error in the ULS logs "Failed to get term store for proxy 'Managed Metadata Service Application Proxy'. Exception: System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed", this happens due to lack of permission in registry key for WSS_WPG and WSS_ADMIN_WPG.
Execute the command below from SharePoint Management Sheel (run as administrator) to provide access and reboot the server.
Initialize-SPResourceSecurityRefresh the Term Store Management page and it should display as expected.
- Try running the Product Configuration Wizard, it may auto fix the problem for you.
PSConfig.exe -cmd secureresources
- And do not forget an IISRESET if you make any changes to the IIS settings.
- Reboot the respective SharePoint server, this helps many times.
- If you are unlucky and nothing works, you may have to create a new Managed Metadata Service.
- Last resort, reach out to Microsoft support.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- How to wrap column text in SharePoint Online Modern List Grid View using JSON formatting
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- Cannot load PowerApps form in SharePoint Online due to repeated authentication
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- SharePoint 2010 DataForm Unable to display this Web Part System.StackOverflowException
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- Drag drop files here option missing for SharePoint document library
- How to activate and create SharePoint Spaces feature for mixed reality experience - 2D/3D images and web parts
- [Fix] Office 365 Sharepoint One Drive Error: Something went wrong. This is a temporary issue
- SharePoint 2016 error - Could not find file ManageUserProfileServiceApplicationTenantSimplified.xml
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- SharePoint Online REST API not returning all list items and limit to only 100 rows
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- How to press shortcut CTRL + ALT + DEL on Windows Remote Desktop - HowTos
- How to remove app from Dock when closed [macOS Big Sur] - MacOS
- Get the Current Date using LocalDate in Java - Java
- Eclipse : A java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development kit (JDK) must be available - Java
- Difference between using Scanner Class and String args for user input in Java - Java
- How to delete a dir or folder using Python code - Python
- Android: programmatically turn Bluetooth on or off using Java code - Android
- How to disable button in Bootstrap - Bootstrap