Sharepoint Administrators face some unexpected errors while setting up the FARM, some have a standard known fix, but some do not. Here is an annoying error which you may face with the "Managed Metadata Service".
The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started.If you also see this error pop up in the Central Admin, here are some working fixes! Assuming you have SharePoint Server installed, you won't find this with SharePoint Foundation.
- First things first, check if the Managed Metadata Service is running (SharePoint Central Administration --> Manage services on server --> select Server --> start Managed Metadata Web Service).
- Navigate to IIS Server and check whether the Application pool for the MMD Service is started and running.
- Make sure the App pool account password for MMD service is not changed, if yes, then update the new password.
- From IIS, ensure IUSR is added in Anonymous Authentication.
- Make sure the SharePoint Web Application App pool account has minimum read Access to Term Store. You can fix this from Central Admin.
- Navigate to SQL server, rename the database "Managed Metadata Service" to any temporary name and set it back to the original, this works in some cases. The database name may vary depending on what the admin set it during FARM setup.
- Restrart the SQL Server, this works sometimes.
- If you see this error in the ULS logs "Failed to get term store for proxy 'Managed Metadata Service Application Proxy'. Exception: System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed", this happens due to lack of permission in registry key for WSS_WPG and WSS_ADMIN_WPG.
Execute the command below from SharePoint Management Sheel (run as administrator) to provide access and reboot the server.
Initialize-SPResourceSecurityRefresh the Term Store Management page and it should display as expected.
- Try running the Product Configuration Wizard, it may auto fix the problem for you.
PSConfig.exe -cmd secureresources
- And do not forget an IISRESET if you make any changes to the IIS settings.
- Reboot the respective SharePoint server, this helps many times.
- If you are unlucky and nothing works, you may have to create a new Managed Metadata Service.
- Last resort, reach out to Microsoft support.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- osascript wants to make changes while Android Studio Installation on Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- How to check RAM details on Mac? - MacOS
- Convert Java Array to ArrayList Code Example - Java
- Fix SharePoint PowerShell error - The term Get-SPweb is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet function script file or operable program - SharePoint
- say command macOS terminal examples - MacOS