SharePoint Online and On-prem both provide an option to map document libraries, folders or even entire sites as a network drive and access the files in familiar Windows explorer view.
But you may face errors while mapping and require IT support for troubleshooting.
One common error is "Access Denied". Yes, even you actually have access to SharePoint.
The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
Access Denied. Before opening files in this location, you must first add the web site to your trusted site list, browse to the web site, and select the option to login automatically.
Perform below checks to get this fixed.
- Add the SharePoint site URL to Trusted Sites list. You may need assistance from IT if you do not have enough rights to do this.
Internet Explorer --> Internet Options --> Security tab --> Trusted sites --> click Sites --> enter "https://*.sharepoint.com" --> click Add
Adding https://*.sharepoint.com will ensure that all SharePoint sites from your Tenant are trusted
- Navigate to Services (services.msc) and confirm the WebClient service is in running state.
- Open Internet Explorer and enter the SharePoint link.
⭐ Very important, mapping network drive only works with IE at present.
- Enter the login details and select "Keep me signed in" or "Remember me" or "Stay signed in" and click Sign In.
⭐ This is an important step, you need IE to remember you. If you are unsure if it was selected, sign out and sign in again, then tick the check box. The sign out option is at the top right corner, when you click on your profile picture.
- Now we are ready to map the network drive, just follow the instructions.
- Navigate to "This PC".
- Click on Computer tab from the top options.
- Click Map network drive.
- Click Map network drive one more time.
- Enter the SharePoint folder path, only till the folder name and click Finish. Keep only till library/folder name and remove everything after it.
Connect using different credentials --> use this option if you are using a personal computer which may not be connected to your organizational network or VPN.
Reconnect at sign-in --> use this option if you do not want sign in again when the system is rebooted.
- If you have set all necessary configurations correctly, the folder will open directly showing all files which you have access to.
The mapped drive can be seen under Network Locations.
⚡️ Important Points -
Map network drive uses WebDav to sync SharePoint files, which is an older technology. OneDrive sync client is faster, more secured and even provides Files On-Demand capability.
Currently, the network drive mapping only works with Internet Explorer, not even with Edge. Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox do not support this.
The session expires if you do not login to Internet Explorer regularly. To avoid this, frequently connect to the SharePoint site via IE and make sure you select Stay signed in.
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- Update SharePoint Online List Item using REST API, HTML, Spfx, Postman
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- Create SharePoint list from Excel spreadsheet and import table
- Send Email using SharePoint PowerShell command, SMTP server
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- The service instance
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to change order of fields on new item form for SharePoint Online list
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- Disable Chrome Notification bell from Mac OS X menu bar - Mac-OS-X
- Android Studio Error: Default Activity not found - Android-Studio
- How to know file encoding in Microsoft Windows Notepad? - Microsoft
- SharePoint 2010 DataForm Unable to display this Web Part System.StackOverflowException - SharePoint
- Android Studio NoClassDefFoundError: java.awt.Toolkit - Android-Studio
- Fix error The tool was unable to install the Web Server (IIS) Role during SharePoint 2019 Setup - SharePoint
- How to use Spotlight feature in Teams meeting to pin and highlight participant and content - Teams
- How to record PowerPoint slide show presentation on Mac - narration, slide timings, ink gestures - Microsoft