SharePoint Online and On-prem both provide an option to map document libraries, folders or even entire sites as a network drive and access the files in familiar Windows explorer view.
But you may face errors while mapping and require IT support for troubleshooting.
One common error is "Access Denied". Yes, even you actually have access to SharePoint.
The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
Access Denied. Before opening files in this location, you must first add the web site to your trusted site list, browse to the web site, and select the option to login automatically.
Perform below checks to get this fixed.
- Add the SharePoint site URL to Trusted Sites list. You may need assistance from IT if you do not have enough rights to do this.
Internet Explorer --> Internet Options --> Security tab --> Trusted sites --> click Sites --> enter "https://*.sharepoint.com" --> click Add
Adding https://*.sharepoint.com will ensure that all SharePoint sites from your Tenant are trusted
- Navigate to Services (services.msc) and confirm the WebClient service is in running state.
- Open Internet Explorer and enter the SharePoint link.
⭐ Very important, mapping network drive only works with IE at present.
- Enter the login details and select "Keep me signed in" or "Remember me" or "Stay signed in" and click Sign In.
⭐ This is an important step, you need IE to remember you. If you are unsure if it was selected, sign out and sign in again, then tick the check box. The sign out option is at the top right corner, when you click on your profile picture.
- Now we are ready to map the network drive, just follow the instructions.
- Navigate to "This PC".
- Click on Computer tab from the top options.
- Click Map network drive.
- Click Map network drive one more time.
- Enter the SharePoint folder path, only till the folder name and click Finish. Keep only till library/folder name and remove everything after it.
Connect using different credentials --> use this option if you are using a personal computer which may not be connected to your organizational network or VPN.
Reconnect at sign-in --> use this option if you do not want sign in again when the system is rebooted.
- If you have set all necessary configurations correctly, the folder will open directly showing all files which you have access to.
The mapped drive can be seen under Network Locations.
⚡️ Important Points -
Map network drive uses WebDav to sync SharePoint files, which is an older technology. OneDrive sync client is faster, more secured and even provides Files On-Demand capability.
Currently, the network drive mapping only works with Internet Explorer, not even with Edge. Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox do not support this.
The session expires if you do not login to Internet Explorer regularly. To avoid this, frequently connect to the SharePoint site via IE and make sure you select Stay signed in.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- BSNL Broadband upgrades speed to minimum 2MBps for all users 512Kbps 1Mbps - HowTos
- The package must have at least one . separator [Android Studio] - Android-Studio
- Cmd command get current directory location - Windows
- Maven Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 - Java
- NOTE: This project contains resource errors, so aapt did not succeed, which can cause rendering failures. Fix resource problems first. - Android