If you recently installed nvm - Node Version Manager package using brew and when you run the nvm command you get - zsh: command not found: nvm on your macOS system. Well, the reason is you have not set the zsh profile file to locate the installed nvm package.
Let's see what we see when we install nvm using the command: brew install nvm
code2care@mac ~ % brew install nvm ==> Downloading https://github.com/creationix/nvm/archive/v0.38.0.tar.gz Already downloaded: /Users/code2care/Library/Caches/Homebrew/downloads/1956ad942b9ae30bf5f0d9ccb61b90c5ae466dc790b470b5f766eed629b43947--nvm-0.38.0.tar.gz ==> Caveats Please note that upstream has asked us to make explicit managing nvm via Homebrew is unsupported by them and you should check any problems against the standard nvm install method prior to reporting. You should create NVM's working directory if it doesn't exist: mkdir ~/.nvm Add the following to ~/.zshrc or your desired shell configuration file: export NVM_DIR="$HOME/.nvm" [ -s "/opt/homebrew/opt/nvm/nvm.sh" ] && . "/opt/homebrew/opt/nvm/nvm.sh" # This loads nvm [ -s "/opt/homebrew/opt/nvm/etc/bash_completion.d/nvm" ] && . "/opt/homebrew/opt/nvm/etc/bash_completion.d/nvm" # This loads nvm bash_completion You can set $NVM_DIR to any location, but leaving it unchanged from /opt/homebrew/opt/nvm will destroy any nvm-installed Node installations upon upgrade/reinstall. Type `nvm help` for further information. ==> Summary 🍺 /opt/homebrew/Cellar/nvm/0.38.0: 7 files, 176KB, built in 1 second
As you can see in the installation logs, you need to update the .zshrc file with the NVM details after you create .nvm file under ~/ location.Fix:
- Execute command: mkdir ~/.nvm
- Run command: brew --prefix nvm to know the installation location.
code2care@mac ~ % brew --prefix nvm /opt/homebrew/opt/nvm
- Open zsh profile file: nano ~/.zshrc
- Add the below line to the file:
export NVM_DIR="$HOME/.nvm" . "/opt/homebrew/opt/nvm/nvm.sh"
- Save the changes: Control + X followed by Y Key.
- Update changes: source ~/.zshrc
- Now try to run nvm commands: example: nvm list
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Opening mac Terminal
- Youtube spacebar not working in search on macOS Safari
- How to remove app from Dock when closed [macOS Big Sur]
- How to start/boot macOS in safe mode - Big Sur 11.0, Catalina 10.15, or Mojave 10.14
- How to open Terminal in Mac to run commands
- Spotlight Search Mac Keyboard Shortcut
- macOS Big Sur compatible Macs List
- How to change macOS Safari default language
- zsh: command not found: cls macOS Big Sur
- [Solution] macOS Big Sur Installation: There is not enough free space, Additional Space Required
- How to press shortcut CTRL + ALT + DEL on Windows Remote Desktop - HowTos
- How to Change or Set a new Password for your Wi-Fi Router - HowTos
- Sign in as different user missing in SharePoint 2013 - SharePoint
- Calculate Area of Parallelogram - C-Program
- Spotlight Search file path location on Mac OS X Mavericks or Yosemite - Mac-OS-X
- JSON with PHP Example: JSON Tutorial - Json-Tutorial
- List of Code Snippets/Templates to Eclipse IDE - Eclipse
- appcompat_v7 errors after updates to API level 21 Material Theme - Android
- Add Custom header and footer to Windows Notepad file - NotepadPlusPlus
- Android Studio 4.2 Canary 1 now available - Android-Studio
- Bypass domain name for IIS site (SharePoint) - SharePoint
- PHP Base64 encoding decoding a variable - PHP
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically - SharePoint
- How to place two div elements next to each other - CSS
- Change default language highlighting in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus