If you receive an error "A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator." while opening or editing Microsoft Office files (common with excel), use the below steps to troubleshoot and fix the problem.
This applies to all SharePoint on-premise (2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019) and SharePoint Online (Microsoft Office 365) versions. Not actually a SharePoint problem, but an MS Office desktop client.
The problem is mostly user specific, device specific to be precise, and occurs while editing files.
While opening the excel, users may see a message like Server Read-Only - The document was opened from a server in read-only mode.
Troubleshooting and fixes
- Check "Web Client" service is enabled and in running state. Start --> Services --> Web client --> Properties --> set startup type to Manual --> Ensure its in running state.
- Clear Office cache from your device (laptop/desktop). Reboot if necessary. Path varies based on installed MS Office version, but something similar to C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OfficeFileCache
- Verify SharePoint permissions - Ensure the user has minimal edit/contribute rights to the file.
- Verify SharePoint Document Library setting "Require documents to be checked out before they can be edited ?" SharePoint Document Library --> Library Settings --> Versioning Settings --> check out settings.
- Delete the file from SharePoint document library and re upload. This fix works for many users.
- Restore moved document - if you moved the document from one library/folder to another, try restoring to original location and check the behaviour.
- If you created a Z: drive using "Add a network location", option, try deleting and recreating it.
Some additional troubleshooting tips which may help
- Clear browser cache/history.
- Reboot the machine.
- Check the behaviour from a different device.
- Try adding the link to trusted sites from browser.
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- How to share SharePoint site or document with all users in organization
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- Access URL for SharePoint Tenant Admin Center (Online Office 365)
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint - The URL is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.Net
- How to Share Microsoft SharePoint Site with Users or Groups
- JSON column formatting to preview SharePoint Online file on mouse hover
- SharePoint List redirect user after submitting form NewForm.aspx
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help. (OSE403)
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to wrap column text in SharePoint Online Modern List Grid View using JSON formatting
- How to extend retiring SharePoint 2010 Workflows and continue with Office 365
- Changed AD user display name showing old name in SharePoint
- How to hide or remove quick launch left navigation from SharePoint Online Modern site page
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- How to hide or display Wifi icon in macOS Bug Sur Menu Bar - MacOS
- Shortcuts: How to Toggle Word Wrap in Visual Studio Code (VS Code) - Shortcuts
- How to activate and create SharePoint Spaces feature for mixed reality experience - 2D/3D images and web parts - SharePoint
- How to pip install Python Modules in VSCode - Python
- Building library Gradle Project Info: Downloading services.gradle.org - Android-Studio
- How to create StackOverflow error in java - Java
- Get count of SharePoint List or Document Library Items using PowerShell - SharePoint
- Disable Startup Sound on macOS - MacOS