Git Distributed Version Control System (DVCS) is been used in over 90% of Software Projects. With the ever growing of Visual Studio Code over the past couple of years, most of us learning VS Code may have a question, how do I use Git with Visual Studio Code?Prerequisites
Note: We assume that you are very new to git and do not have set-up GitHub with VS Code, accordingly some steps can be skipped.
- Visual Studio Installed (either of Mac, Linux, Windows)
- Git installed on your Device.
- Should have basic understanding of Git Commands - init, config, commit, add, status, log, push e.t.c.
- A GitHub account
How to create a git local repository using VS Code
- Open VS Code,
- Open Terminal (Can use any shell zsh, bash or CMD, PowerShell)
- Now move to a location where you want to create your project folder and create your project folder, and move into that folder, and go a git init to make it as Git Project.
% git init
- Now to go File -> Open Folder -> Choose the project folder you created.
✏️ Note you can even create a local git repository outside of VS Code and then import.
Setup Github email and user
- If you are using git for the first time, and have not set user and email, follow below steps,
- Open Terminal,
- Add User: git config --global user.name "your-user-name"
- Add Email: git config --global user.email "firstname.lastname@example.org"
How to stage and commit code into git local repository using VS Code
- For the demo purpose, lets create a simple file hello.html and add a h1 tag saying hello,
<h1>Hello Git + VS Code!</h1>
- Execute command: git add hello.html to stage the file,
- Now, execute the command: git add -m "initial commit"
How to push local git repository using VS Code
- In Terminal, set the remove branch details by running the command: |HSgit remote set-url origin https://github.com/your-user/my-git-proj.git|
- Run command: git push origin main
- You will get a pop-up to add your GitHub credentials in VS Code.
- You will be redirected to GitHub website to provide access,
- on GitHub, create a project with the same name as your local git project (note if your repo contains sensitive info, make it a private repo)
- Now run the command git push -u origin master
% git push -u origin main Enumerating objects: 6, done. Counting objects: 100% (6/6), done. Delta compression using up to 8 threads Compressing objects: 100% (2/2), done. Writing objects: 100% (6/6), 489 bytes | 489.00 KiB/s, done. Total 6 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0 To https://github.com/bladerunr2049/my-git-proj.git * [new branch] main -> main branch 'main' set up to track 'origin/main'.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- fix fatal: --local can only be used inside a git repository error
- [git] fatal: clean.requireForce defaults to true nor -f given; refusing to clean
- How to Install Git on Windows
- Github: fatal: Authentication failed Support for password was removed on August 13, 2021
- git command to remove/unstage files from staging area
- Git Commit - Author identity unknown, Please tell me who you are email
- [fix] zsh: command not found: git
- [fix] fatal: pathspec index.html did not match any files error
- How to update expired GitHub token on local git remote config
- How to change directory in Git bash
- Change the default diff or commit editor for git
- fatal: Unable to create '/c/git_repo/.git/index.lock': File exists. If no other git process is currently running, this probably means a git process crashed in this repository earlier.
- Git Config Command - A Deep Dive
- How to remove or unstage a file from git staged area
- Setup Git + Visual Studio Code Tutorial
- Get the file location of git config values
- git fatal: Authentication failed error [fix]
- Get List of all local branches git command
- [Solution] fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
- Change the default git branch name from master to main
- [fix] fatal: this operation must be run in a work tree in git
- How to Merge Branch into Master Branch
- How to check your installed version of Git
- [git] fatal: your current branch 'main' does not have any commits yet
- How to Install Git on Ubuntu Linux
- AlertDialog with image using ImageView Example - Android
- How to know the current shell you are logged in? - Bash
- How to delete all text after a character or string in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- [Fix] Steam Friends Network Unreachable Error - HowTos
- How to know if you have blocked your friend Number on Android Phone - Android
- How to connect to SFTP location using Terminal command - FTP
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site - SharePoint
- How to Connect to AWS Windows EC2 UI Instance from M1 Mac (Updated 2022) - HowTos