SharePoint Online provides a very easy Out Of The Box way to move/copy documents to a different location. This includes files and folders both.
Business end users can perform these steps easily themselves without dependency on Admin or IT support team. Simple content migrations within tenant can be performed this way without need of SharePoint migration tools like ShareGate, Metalogix or AvePoint.
Steps to Move / Copy
- Navigate to the document library or folder where file resides.
- Select the file, check from the left most option.
- Click on Actions, the 3 dots (...) from menu or ribbon.
- Select appropriate option
- Move to - move the file/folder to new location. Removed from source.
- Copy to - copy the file/folder to new location. Retained in source.
- You will see a new window with message, "Move/Copy X items".
- Places - Choose a destination
- Current Library - Move/Copy to a different folder in same library
- Your OneDrive - Move/Copy to your personal OneDrive for Business
- Tenant (frequent sites) - Move/Copy to frequent sites displayed on screen
- Browse sites - Move/Copy to different site collection or sub site from your tenant
- Click 'Move Here'. Optionally, you can also create a New Folder from the same screen in the destination library.
The file metadata is also retained when you perform a move action. Properties like Created, Creaded By, Modified, Modifie By and other custom column values also move with the file, ensure you have same set of fields on source and destination.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- SharePoint Designer Workflow error - Coercion Failed: Input cannot be null for this coercion - SharePoint
- How to check uptime of Linux/Unix/macOS system/server using console command? - Linux
- How to change font, apply bold or italic styles, font size in Windows Notepad - HowTos
- Indent XML Formatting In Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- 300+ Eclipse IDE Keyboard Shortcuts for Mac - Eclipse