SharePoint Online provides a very easy Out Of The Box way to move/copy documents to a different location. This includes files and folders both.
Business end users can perform these steps easily themselves without dependency on Admin or IT support team. Simple content migrations within tenant can be performed this way without need of SharePoint migration tools like ShareGate, Metalogix or AvePoint.
Steps to Move / Copy
- Navigate to the document library or folder where file resides.
- Select the file, check from the left most option.
- Click on Actions, the 3 dots (...) from menu or ribbon.
- Select appropriate option
- Move to - move the file/folder to new location. Removed from source.
- Copy to - copy the file/folder to new location. Retained in source.
- You will see a new window with message, "Move/Copy X items".
- Places - Choose a destination
- Current Library - Move/Copy to a different folder in same library
- Your OneDrive - Move/Copy to your personal OneDrive for Business
- Tenant (frequent sites) - Move/Copy to frequent sites displayed on screen
- Browse sites - Move/Copy to different site collection or sub site from your tenant
- Click 'Move Here'. Optionally, you can also create a New Folder from the same screen in the destination library.
The file metadata is also retained when you perform a move action. Properties like Created, Creaded By, Modified, Modifie By and other custom column values also move with the file, ensure you have same set of fields on source and destination.
- getting message 'you are not allowed to perform this action'
anon 30 Aug 2020 04:20:16 GMT
- Further comments disabled!
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- How to share SharePoint site or document with all users in organization
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- Access URL for SharePoint Tenant Admin Center (Online Office 365)
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint - The URL is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.Net
- How to Share Microsoft SharePoint Site with Users or Groups
- JSON column formatting to preview SharePoint Online file on mouse hover
- SharePoint List redirect user after submitting form NewForm.aspx
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help. (OSE403)
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to wrap column text in SharePoint Online Modern List Grid View using JSON formatting
- How to extend retiring SharePoint 2010 Workflows and continue with Office 365
- Changed AD user display name showing old name in SharePoint
- How to hide or remove quick launch left navigation from SharePoint Online Modern site page
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- How to Identify installed PowerShell version - Powershell
- How to stop/start/restart apache server using command [Ubuntu] - Ubuntu
- Your Android SDK is out of date or is missing templates. Please ensure you are using SDK version 22 or later. - Android
- How to Manage Profile Picture on Microsoft Teams - Teams
- Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CACHE_MISS PHP - PHP
- How to add or remove bookmark on a line in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Java Join Strings with Comma Separator - Java
- Spotlight Search Mac Keyboard Shortcut - MacOS