Microsoft will be rolling out its most anticipated feature "Breakout Rooms" for its Microsoft 365 Tenants and plan to complete it by November 2020, which is delayed delivery earlier planned for October 2020.
Breakout rooms are generally available in Microsoft Teams now.
Microsoft 365 Roadmap - Virtual Breakout Rooms 65332
Introduce breakout room functionality - UserVoice
Microsoft Teams - Virtual Breakout Rooms (Feature ID: 65332)
Meeting hosts can create breakout rooms to be used by meeting participants for smaller group discussion. They can assign participants to a room and call them back to the larger group when the breakout is complete. We anticipate delivering this feature no later than early Q4.
Tags: Microsoft Teams, GCC, Worldwide (Standard Multi-Tenant), General Availability
❓️ Where breakout rooms are useful ?Creating meaningful connections can be difficult in larger groups. Breakout rooms allow organizers to divide the meeting into sub-groups to facilitate discussions and brainstorming sessions.
Corporate Meetings - Meeting organizers can create virtual breakout rooms so they can split and assign participants to smaller groups for focused discussions and come back to the main room when done.
Teams for education - Teachers can create virtual breakout rooms so students can work within their smaller groups on a discussion or assignment, then easily be called back to the larger group.
Board Meetings - Host can create mini meeting rooms adding board members to relevant committee discussions and come back with their conclusion on a topic.
Human Resources - HR can create smaller brainstorming breakouts and split employees to brainstorm together and work on the given task together, and later return to the main room.
❓️ What is required to use breakout rooms ?
- Teams Admin needs to enable the required settings from Teams Admin Center.
- You need to be the Meeting Organizer. Presenters and attendees cannot provision yet.
- Works only with Teams Desktop Cleint App, Web or Mobile. Microsoft Teams Rooms do not have breakout room capabilities yet.
- Works only with the new Teams meeting experience. Enable here, Teams --> Settings --> General --> Check "Turn on new meeting experience".
- Be meeting organizer to record meetings, participants cannot.
❓️ How can universirty/school teachers and students use Breakout Rooms ?
- Breakout Rooms for university teachers and student work the same way as it works for organizational accounts.
- Educators can push students into the breakout rooms and pull them back to the main meeting.
- Students can be assigned to breakout rooms and they can join breakout rooms from Desktop/Mobile/Web.chat.
- Students can use the whiteboard or screen share if they are allowed.
- Same security policies and options apply to the breakout room.
⭐ Features of breakout rooms ?
- Works for organizational and external users.
- Create up to 50 rooms.
- Add upto 10 participants per room.
- Assign and organize participants manually or automatically.
- Start, open/close rooms.
- Move participants between rooms.
- Reopen rooms.
- Record, share files, sue whiteboars, capture notes, download attendance.
- Participants logged in from multiple devices will have all end points join the same breakout room.
- [Fix] Microsoft teams error code 503 - Failed to reach https
- Enable and reduce background noise in Microsoft Teams with AI-based noise suppression
- Cannot access files within Microsoft Teams - We are setting up your file directory
- Cannot create new Microsoft Team using PowerShell, even as Admin
- Microsoft Teams enable or disable Spell check
- Teams - You're offline. Messages you send while offline will be sent when you're back online
- Microsoft Teams Zoom In and Zoom Out Keyboard Shortcut
- Microsoft Teams meeting Full Screen mode option missing - bring it back
- Fix Microsoft Teams error We're sorry—we've run into an issue Try again
- How to enable, create and use Virtual Breakout Rooms in Microsoft Teams
- [Fix] Modern authentication failed here, but youll still be able to sign in. Your status code is 4c7 - Microsoft Teams
- How to Enable Dark Mode Theme in Microsoft Teams
- [Microsoft Teams] You're not on Teams yet, but you can set it up for your organization.
- Common Microsoft Teams sign in errors and how to fix
- Users experience call quality issue, voice distortion, disconnection with Microsoft Teams call and meeting
- How to use Spotlight feature in Teams meeting to pin and highlight participant and content
- How to Join Microsoft Teams Meeting Without an Account
- How to track and download Microsoft Teams meeting attendance report of participants/students
- Microsoft Teams adds New Conversation Button
- Cannot open or preview pdf with view only and restricted download access in Microsoft Teams
- How to enable Do Not Disturb (DND) mode in Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Teams: Sign-in is blocked error
- How to turn on channel notifications for Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Teams change default language
- Microsoft Edge browser error on MAC - This page is having a problem Try coming back to it later - Microsoft
- Java location in Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- How to record PowerPoint slide show presentation on Mac - narration, slide timings, ink gestures - Microsoft
- Android : Execute some code after back button is pressed - Android
- How to Update Chrome Browser on Mac? - Chrome