⭐Global Microsoft 365 or SharePoint Admin can change the URL for SharePoint sites within the Tenant - Modern team sites without O365/M365 group, Communication sites, Classic Team sites, Microsoft 365 group connected team sites.
This allows admins to change the SharePoint site name as well as the link from SharePoint Admin Center or using PowerShell script.
This feature comes handy in many cases - say the name of a project is changed, or you mispelled it, or say you earlier called it SCM and now want to rename to Supply Chain Management.
✏️Steps to change URL address of SharePoint Online site
- Navigate to SharePoint Admin Center (need Global/SharePoint admin role).
- Click Sites --> Active Sites.
- Search your SharePoint site and click the site name to open details pane.
- Under General --> URL --> click 'Edit' link.
- Type the new URL, SharePoint will check if the URL address is available and display a message 'The site address is available'.
- Click Save.
- You will be prompted if you want to change the site name too 'Do you also want to enter a new site name?'. Ignore if not required.
- The process will take few minutes and display the updated site address.
In this example, we are changing site address c2c-SPSite1 to c2c-SPSite2.
✌️ You can change the address of up to 100 sites at a time. But try doing it one at a time.
✌️ The site will be in read-only mode during the change. For a short duration though.
✌️ Try changing the address when site usage is low. During off hours preferably.
Steps to change the SharePoint site address using PowerShellMake sure you run the SharePoint Online Management Shell with 'Run as Administrator'. Connect to SharePoint as a Global Admin or SharePoint Admin and run below command.
Run below PowerShell command to verify that the site address can be changed Start-SPOSiteRename -Identity [SiteURL] -NewSiteUrl [NewSiteURl] -ValidationOnly Run below PowerShell command to change the site address Start-SPOSiteRename -Identity [SiteURL] -NewSiteUrl [NewSiteURl]
❓️ What happens to the old SharePoint link ?
When the site address is changed, SharePoint creates a redirect at the previous address. So you can use both the links together and they point to the same site.
If you want to reuse the previous address, you have to delete the redirect using PowerShell command.
❓️ Effects and Impact of changing the site address ?
- Favorite/Saved/Sharing links - will be intact and work fine.
- Recycle bin – Files from the recycle bin will be lost.
- Site Permissions - No change.
- Apps - Republish the apps if you change the site's address.
- Hub sites - Reassociation required.
- Power Apps - Reconnect the app or apps to your data source.
- Power Automate - Flows need to be republished after recreating or updating with the new address.
- Sync lists/libraries/folders - Sync will work without problems.
- OneNote - Work seamlessly if it was not open during the change.
- SharePoint Designer Workflows - Need to republish.
- Audit logs - Entry about this change is captured in logs.
- Customizations and embedded code - Code need to be fixed where old URL is referenced.
✖️ Any limitations ?
- You cannot change the Tenant/Domain Name.
- You may encounter a HTTP 500 error if you try accessing the site during the change.
- You cannot change the URL of an eDiscovery Center site. The Edit option will be disabled.
- You cannot change the URL if Office 365 Compliance/Retention policy or eDiscovery hold is applied to the site.
- You cannot change the URL of a HUB site.
- Group email address for Team sites connected to Microsoft/Office 365 Group will not be changed automatically. You will need to fix it using PowerShell script.
- You cannot change URL of sites that have BCS connections.
- If the Publishing feature is currently activated or was previously activated for the site, then changing the site address is unsupported.
For changing the URL or Name of a sub site, can navigate to the respective site --> Look and Feel --> Title, Description and Logo --> change the Title.
This will change the subsite display name as well as the URL.
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- Update SharePoint Online List Item using REST API, HTML, Spfx, Postman
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- Create SharePoint list from Excel spreadsheet and import table
- Send Email using SharePoint PowerShell command, SMTP server
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- The service instance
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to change order of fields on new item form for SharePoint Online list
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- Encode or Decode Base64 String using Mac Terminal Command - MacOS
- Convert String to int in Java - Java
- Convert Java Map Collection Object to JSON String using Jackson - Java
- [Error] Microsoft Teams: We're sorry—we've run into an issue. - Microsoft
- PowerShell git: The term git is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet - Microsoft
- Exception in thread main java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException - Java
- 3 ways to clear screen on Linux Terminal - Linux
- How to add border to Android Button - Android