Ever came across a need to create a similar list in SharePoint based on an already existing list, with same structure, columns. Legacy SharePoint versions have provided a way to save list as a template and reuse it for new list creation.
With SharePoint Online, you can duplicate a list more easily and quickly!
For creating similar lists, SharePoint Online Modern interface gives you a way to create it from an existing list. The entire list structure is copied, including views, formatting, and columns in this approach. However, the actual content is not copied from the original list.
Select a list to use as a template for a new empty list on this site.
Columns, views and formatting will copy over to the new list.
Steps to create new SharePoint list based on an existing list
- Navigate to your SharePoint site.
- Go to Settings --> Site Contents.
- Click New --> List.
- Enter a name for your list.
- Check/Uncheck 'show in site navigation'.
- Click 'From an existing list'.
- Select a Team or Site - select this site or any other site collection. All sites where you have access are listed here.
- Choose a list from your selected site.
- Click Create.
The great part is, you can even refer to lists from different SharePoint Site Collection. The same approach can be used from within Microsoft Teams by opening corresponding SharePoint Site by clicking Files --> 3 dots (...) --> Open in SharePoint.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..