At times, you might see the above message - "Connection timed out - Error 522" when you try to access a website using your computer or mobile phone's web browser like Safari, Chrome, Firefox, or others.
This error is related to the website server and there is nothing wrong on your side. As you may see, a green tick saying that your browser is working fine and so is the Cloudflare server (CDN) located near your city, but there is an issue with the Host.
Why Error 522?
We get the Cloudfare Error 522, when the initial connection between Cloudflare's network and the origin web server (i.e. Website server) timed out thus the page you are trying to load is not displayed.
What should I do as an end user?
You can try to refresh the page and try again in some time. If you are a part of the website organization, you can reach out to their IT Support team saying the page/app is unreachable with "Cloudflare Error Code 522"
To help the Support team reach the root of the issue, you can share the "Cloudflare Ray ID" that you will see at the bottom of the error page.
What should I do as a Website Owner?
As we discussed earlier, Error 522 is a connection timeout error that occurs when Cloudflare times out when trying to connect to your web server.
The connection time out can occur when:
- Cloudflare sends a SYN message to your web (origin) server and does not get a SYN+ACK within 15 seconds
- The connection is established but the web server (origin) does not acknowledge (ACK) Cloudflare’s resource request within 90 seconds.
How to Fix: Error 522
The most common reason for this error could be:
1) That your server is overloaded and unhealthy to handle any more requests at the moment.
2) The web server is down and offline.
3) The IP of the Webserver has changed, and there is a mismatch between what is configured with Cloudflare.
4) It could be that the Cloudflare IPs are either rate-limited or have been blocked in .htaccess, iptables, or the server firewalls, make sure to whitelist them.
5) Make sure that the keepalives are not disabled at the web (origin ) server.
6) Check that there are no packets dropped at your web (origin) server.
If nothing works, you will need to take a look at your web server - IIS, Apache, Nginx, or others which can be hosted with GoDaddy, HostGator, WordPress, or cloud services like AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud. If you are unable to see any issues, you need to reach out to them.
Hope you find this article useful, if you have any issues, feel free to add a comment, or if you have any other findings that will be helpful for other readers.
This is not an AI-generated article but is demonstrated by a human on an M1 Mac running macOS Sonoma 14.0.
Please support independent contributors like Code2care by donating a coffee.
Buy me a coffee!
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Fix NVIDIA GeForce Experience ERROR CODE 0x0003
- How to convert byte array to String [Kotlin]
- Unzip a Zip file from Terminal Command
- How to write hello world different languages syntax
- [Error] zsh: command not found: mvn
- How to know the version of OpenSSL
- [Solution] IDEA IntelliJ System.out.println function shortcut (sysout alternative for eclipse IDE)
- The default username and password for RabbitMQ
- ChatGPT Outage: Hmm...something seems to have gone wrong. Maybe try me again in a little bit.
- How to check the version of NodeJS installed
- Gmail Unable to upload because it is a folder or a package (like an application bundle or RTFD document)
- How to remove password from pdf file
- BSNL Broadband upgrades speed to minimum 2MBps for all users 512Kbps 1Mbps
- MongoDB: Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1:27017 reason: Connection refused
- Turn off Focus Mode on Mac
- Steps to Delete or Deactivate Instagram Account
- [IRCTC] Indian railways official eRail API 1.1 for developers to get train info
- CentOS Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo base7x86_64 yum
- Why I see Download pre-built shared indexes in IntelliJ
- Copy file from a remote server to current local directory system using SCP command
- [Fix] Minecraft Error: A JNI error has occurred, please check your installation and try again
- How to install Zsh shell
- Merge multiple zip files without unzipping (extracting)
- How to find someone on Instagram
- How to get an embed code from Vimeo?
- SharePoint 2016 error - Could not find file ManageUserProfileServiceApplicationTenantSimplified.xml - SharePoint
- Error code - 7: There's a more permanent way to sign in to Microsoft Teams - Teams
- Sublime Text 3 Convert Case to Upper, Lower, Title or Swap - Sublime-Text
- Convert Multidimensional Array toString In Java - Java
- PHP header location function not called - PHP
- Show battery percentage on MacBook Menu Bar [Ventura 13] - MacOS
- Test internet speed using macOS Terminal command - MacOS
- iPhone Message: A new iOS update is now available. Please update from the iOS 14 beta. - Apple