Legacy SharePoint versions have provided the capability to create a custom list using excel file. This feature is enhanced a bit in SharePoint Online Modern interface and helps importing your excel data into a custom list with all required columns in a matter of few minutes.
You can choose the excel file either from your site or upload from your computer/laptop.
Steps to create custom list from excel spreadsheet
Make sure you define a table in excel which has the data, including headers/columns. You need to define tables to import as a list.
- Navigate to you SharePoint site (modern interface).
- Go to Settings --> Site Contents.
- Click New --> List (you can also do this from the modern home page).
- Click From Excel.
- List name - Enter a name for your new list.
- Show in site navigation - Yes/No.
- Choose file location
- 'Choose a file already on this site' - if the excel spreadsheet is present in a Documents library
- Upload file - to upload from device. The Excel file will be uploaded to the Site Assets library. If the Upload file button is greyed out, you don't have permission to create a list from a spreadsheet.
- Next, you will be asked to 'Select a table form this file' - there could be multiple tables, select the one you want to use.
- If there are no tables defined in your excel, you will see a message 'You don't have any tables defined in this file. You need to define tables to import as a list.'.
Follow the on screen instructions to define a table and select required cells
- Open the excel document
- Select the cells to include
- Select the data, and click 'Format as Table'
- After saving, return here and click 'Refresh'
- Check the column types below and choose a new type if the current selection is incorrect - Inspect and select column type for each of your header/column, leave default or select do not import.
- Click Create and your list is ready.
Few important points to consider
- Format and define Tables in the Excel, excel without tables cannot be imported.
- Restrict excel rows to 20000. If there are more entries, you will receive a message 'This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows'.
- Excel should not have empty rows.
- Use Quick Edit to add more entries to the list, that's the most convenient.
- Title column is always mandatory. Choose your Title column wisely.
- Column chosen as Title field cannot have blank values. If there are blank values, you will receive a message 'An error occurred while creating your items. Title: You must specify a value for this required field'.
- You need to manually add values to choice column.
- Once rows imported to SharePoint list, you can work directly with List settings like versioning, views, filters, workflows, etc.
- 32-bit browser like Microsoft Edgeis recommended as this feature relies on ActiveX filtering. But it will work with other browsers like Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox as well.
There are other options like copying excel data in Quick Edit mode or even import directly from Excel, but the "Import Spreadsheet" is the most convenient and quick one.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- 97 Useful Notepad++ Keyboard Shortcuts - NotepadPlusPlus
- How to save IntelliJ IDE Console logs to external log file - Android-Studio
- [Fix] Modern authentication failed here, but youll still be able to sign in. Your status code is 4c7 - Microsoft Teams - Teams
- Change Android EditText Cursor Height - Android
- Quick steps to install Nginx on Ubuntu Linux - Ubuntu
- Update SharePoint Online List Item using REST API, HTML, Spfx, Postman - SharePoint
- How to make jsfiddle bootstrap ready - CSS