You have done all below necessary checks, but the problem is not resolved.
- Active Directory (Azure AD in case of Office 365/Microsoft 365) reflects the name correctly
- Outlook reflects the name correctly
- SharePoint User Profile Service reflects the name correctly
- Deleted the user from SharePoint site and reassigned permissions, that does not help either
- Clearing cache does not help and still old name displayed
- Trying from different browser, machine does not help
You will come across multiple solutions like changing the name using PowerShell / Management Shell, deleting the User profile and recreating, etc. But this solution will work in most cases, so try this out first.
Solution -Try adding the user again or just try checking the SharePoint (site/list) permissions, if you see the name resolving correctly in the people picker but displays old name after adding, then follow below steps to resolve.
Important- All users having permissions to a SharePoint Site Collection are added to a hidden list which cannot be accessed directly from site contents. SharePoint automatically makes an entry here when users are granted access or they login.
You need to access this list to fix the problem. There are 3 ways to see the users.
- [SiteURL]/_layouts/15/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0 (update the _layouts link based on the SharePoint version in use)
Make a note of user permissions before performing these steps. You may have to add the user back to Site Collection, sub sites, lists and libraries if they have unique permissions.
- Use the MembershipGroupId=0 approach and navigate to the "All People" group
- Locate the user and you should see the old name being saved
- Delete the user entry and re-add
- Check the user display name now, it should show the correct name
More Posts related to SharePoint,
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and Merge-SPlogfile
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- Sharepoint errors were found when compiling the workflow
- How to update SharePoint List Item programmatically
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- How to migrate SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow to Power Automate FLOW (Microsoft Office 365)
- Disable jQuery button after being click - jQuery
- Android xml error Attribute is missing the Android namespace prefix [Solution] - Android
- Google Webmaster : An error has occurred. Please try again later - Google
- How to Change Bootstrap Carousel Slide Speed - Bootstrap
- Increase Android Emulator Timeout time - Android
- Create a large dummy file using Mac OS X terminal command - Mac-OS-X
- How to write hello world different languages syntax - HowTos
- Enable Spellcheck in eclipse workspace - Eclipse
- Remove URL Forward Slash Before Single or Double quotes in php.ini - PHP
- Android Studio Error:(19, 0) Gradle DSL method not found: android() - Android-Studio
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net - SharePoint
- Fixed Length Android Edittext - Android
- Obsolete marquee element alternatives html5 - Html
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell - SharePoint
- The Android Virtual Device is currently running in an emulator and cannot be deleted - Android