You have done all below necessary checks, but the problem is not resolved.
- Active Directory (Azure AD in case of Office 365/Microsoft 365) reflects the name correctly
- Outlook reflects the name correctly
- SharePoint User Profile Service reflects the name correctly
- Deleted the user from SharePoint site and reassigned permissions, that does not help either
- Clearing cache does not help and still old name displayed
- Trying from different browser, machine does not help
You will come across multiple solutions like changing the name using PowerShell / Management Shell, deleting the User profile and recreating, etc. But this solution will work in most cases, so try this out first.
Solution -Try adding the user again or just try checking the SharePoint (site/list) permissions, if you see the name resolving correctly in the people picker but displays old name after adding, then follow below steps to resolve.
Important- All users having permissions to a SharePoint Site Collection are added to a hidden list which cannot be accessed directly from site contents. SharePoint automatically makes an entry here when users are granted access or they login.
You need to access this list to fix the problem. There are 3 ways to see the users.
- [SiteURL]/_layouts/15/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0 (update the _layouts link based on the SharePoint version in use)
Make a note of user permissions before performing these steps. You may have to add the user back to Site Collection, sub sites, lists and libraries if they have unique permissions.
- Use the MembershipGroupId=0 approach and navigate to the "All People" group
- Locate the user and you should see the old name being saved
- Delete the user entry and re-add
- Check the user display name now, it should show the correct name
More Posts related to SharePoint,
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- Update SharePoint Online List Item using REST API, HTML, Spfx, Postman
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- Create SharePoint list from Excel spreadsheet and import table
- Send Email using SharePoint PowerShell command, SMTP server
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- The service instance
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to change order of fields on new item form for SharePoint Online list
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- Change the default diff or commit editor for git - Git
- Fix NVIDIA GeForce Experience ERROR CODE 0x0003 - HowTos
- #HappyBirthdayJimin hashtag trending on BTS Jimin 25th birthday [BTS ARMY] - BTS
- Gmail Unable to upload because it is a folder or a package (like an application bundle or RTFD document) - HowTos
- Mac OS X Taking Screen Capture using Terminal - Mac-OS-X
- Installation error: INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_MANIFEST_MALFORMED - Android
- How to hide or disable iOS 14 App Library on iPhone? - Apple
- macOS Ventura XCode Command Line Tools Installation - MacOS