You have done all below necessary checks, but the problem is not resolved.
- Active Directory (Azure AD in case of Office 365/Microsoft 365) reflects the name correctly
- Outlook reflects the name correctly
- SharePoint User Profile Service reflects the name correctly
- Deleted the user from SharePoint site and reassigned permissions, that does not help either
- Clearing cache does not help and still old name displayed
- Trying from different browser, machine does not help
You will come across multiple solutions like changing the name using PowerShell / Management Shell, deleting the User profile and recreating, etc. But this solution will work in most cases, so try this out first.
Solution -Try adding the user again or just try checking the SharePoint (site/list) permissions, if you see the name resolving correctly in the people picker but displays old name after adding, then follow below steps to resolve.
Important- All users having permissions to a SharePoint Site Collection are added to a hidden list which cannot be accessed directly from site contents. SharePoint automatically makes an entry here when users are granted access or they login.
You need to access this list to fix the problem. There are 3 ways to see the users.
- [SiteURL]/_layouts/15/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0 (update the _layouts link based on the SharePoint version in use)
Make a note of user permissions before performing these steps. You may have to add the user back to Site Collection, sub sites, lists and libraries if they have unique permissions.
- Use the MembershipGroupId=0 approach and navigate to the "All People" group
- Locate the user and you should see the old name being saved
- Delete the user entry and re-add
- Check the user display name now, it should show the correct name
More Posts related to SharePoint,
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- How to copy Chrome alert popup text to clipboard - Chrome
- Users experience call quality issue, voice distortion, disconnection with Microsoft Teams call and meeting - Teams
- Convert text to random case using Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- HTML, HTML5. CSS, CSS3 Color Codes 2020 - Html
- SharePoint Open in the client application document opens in browser - Java