You have done all below necessary checks, but the problem is not resolved.
- Active Directory (Azure AD in case of Office 365/Microsoft 365) reflects the name correctly
- Outlook reflects the name correctly
- SharePoint User Profile Service reflects the name correctly
- Deleted the user from SharePoint site and reassigned permissions, that does not help either
- Clearing cache does not help and still old name displayed
- Trying from different browser, machine does not help
You will come across multiple solutions like changing the name using PowerShell / Management Shell, deleting the User profile and recreating, etc. But this solution will work in most cases, so try this out first.
Solution -Try adding the user again or just try checking the SharePoint (site/list) permissions, if you see the name resolving correctly in the people picker but displays old name after adding, then follow below steps to resolve.
Important- All users having permissions to a SharePoint Site Collection are added to a hidden list which cannot be accessed directly from site contents. SharePoint automatically makes an entry here when users are granted access or they login.
You need to access this list to fix the problem. There are 3 ways to see the users.
- [SiteURL]/_layouts/15/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0 (update the _layouts link based on the SharePoint version in use)
Make a note of user permissions before performing these steps. You may have to add the user back to Site Collection, sub sites, lists and libraries if they have unique permissions.
- Use the MembershipGroupId=0 approach and navigate to the "All People" group
- Locate the user and you should see the old name being saved
- Delete the user entry and re-add
- Check the user display name now, it should show the correct name
More Posts related to SharePoint,
- Setup synonyms or alias or thesaurus in SharePoint
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint
- SharePoint 2010 DataForm Unable to display this Web Part System.StackOverflowException
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- SharePoint Designer Workflow error - Coercion Failed: Input cannot be null for this coercion
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- SharePoint 2016 error - Could not find file ManageUserProfileServiceApplicationTenantSimplified.xml
- Bypass domain name for IIS site (SharePoint)
- SharePoint PowerShell Merge-SPLogFile filter by time using StartTime EndTime
- Recover SharePoint if the SQL Server IP changes
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to enable disable SharePoint Developer Dashboard for tracing troubleshooting
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- SharePoint Server 2016 error - Failed to connect to the configuration database
- The service instance
- SharePoint Managed Metadata Hidden Taxonomy List - TaxonomyHiddenList
- How to display Toast in a thread : Android - Android
- Change CKEditor Table Properties default width - CKEditor
- Mac OS X Stuck During Booting Gray Screen Logo and Spinner - Mac-OS-X
- Find Difference of two numbers - C-Program
- Share Multiple Images in WhatsApp using Android Intent - WhatsApp
- Instant Run requires Tools | Android | Enable ADB integration to be enabled - Android-Studio
- Setting up Cloud feature with Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- W3 : character data is not allowed here html validation error - Html
- List of 60 useful FTP Client Commands to access server - FTP
- Android Installation error: INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK on Device - Android
- Programmatically Send an Email from Android App using Intent - Android
- jQuery : Move to top of the page - jQuery
- PHP Code for sending Emails - PHP
- Error:The SDK Build Tools revision (XX.X.X) is too low for project. Minimum required is XX.X.X - Android