If you try to open a read only pdf file from Microsoft Teams channel, you may encounter an error "Hmm… looks like this file doesn't have a preview we can show you." with a download button. Clicking the Download button does not do anything.
The preview error occurs if you modify the permissions and restrict download using SharePoint permissions or IRM settings (Information Rights Management).
- You see a Read-only icon near the file stating its 'Read-only.'
- Clicking the file shows message "Hmm… looks like this file doesn't have a preview we can show you.".
- Clicking the Download button does nothing.
- Problem occurs only with pdf files. Other Microsoft Office file types like Word, PowerPoint, Excel, image, etc. can be opened without any problem.
- You can successfully open the file by clicking "Open in SharePoint" link from the Files tab in Teams.
- Modifying the permissions and granting minimum Read/View access from SharePoint allows the file to open successfully.
- Behavior is same in public and private channels.
- Behavior is same in Desktop Client, Mobile App and Web browser.
- Behavior is same for organizational and external users.
Looks like Microsoft Teams expects minimum read permissions with download rights in order to preview the pdf file. Note that Teams has only 2 permission sets (Owner and Member), unlike SharePoint (Owners, Members, Visitors, plus custom permissions sets).
So if you want to restrict downloading of PDF's for your users, do it through SharePoint as it will break in Teams.
- [Fix] Microsoft teams error code 503 - Failed to reach https
- Enable and reduce background noise in Microsoft Teams with AI-based noise suppression
- Cannot access files within Microsoft Teams - We are setting up your file directory
- Cannot create new Microsoft Team using PowerShell, even as Admin
- Microsoft Teams enable or disable Spell check
- Teams - You're offline. Messages you send while offline will be sent when you're back online
- Microsoft Teams Zoom In and Zoom Out Keyboard Shortcut
- Microsoft Teams meeting Full Screen mode option missing - bring it back
- Fix Microsoft Teams error We're sorry—we've run into an issue Try again
- How to enable, create and use Virtual Breakout Rooms in Microsoft Teams
- [Fix] Modern authentication failed here, but youll still be able to sign in. Your status code is 4c7 - Microsoft Teams
- How to Enable Dark Mode Theme in Microsoft Teams
- [Microsoft Teams] You're not on Teams yet, but you can set it up for your organization.
- Common Microsoft Teams sign in errors and how to fix
- Users experience call quality issue, voice distortion, disconnection with Microsoft Teams call and meeting
- How to use Spotlight feature in Teams meeting to pin and highlight participant and content
- How to Join Microsoft Teams Meeting Without an Account
- How to track and download Microsoft Teams meeting attendance report of participants/students
- Microsoft Teams adds New Conversation Button
- Cannot open or preview pdf with view only and restricted download access in Microsoft Teams
- How to enable Do Not Disturb (DND) mode in Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Teams: Sign-in is blocked error
- How to turn on channel notifications for Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Teams change default language
- Check Bluetooth is turned on or off on Android device programmatically [Java Code] - Android
- How to verify if java is installed on the computer and get version detail - Java
- JSON Syntax : JSON Tutorial - Json-Tutorial
- Android-Failed to install apk on device EOF Timeout Error - Android