If you try to open a read only pdf file from Microsoft Teams channel, you may encounter an error "Hmm… looks like this file doesn't have a preview we can show you." with a download button. Clicking the Download button does not do anything.
The preview error occurs if you modify the permissions and restrict download using SharePoint permissions or IRM settings (Information Rights Management).
- You see a Read-only icon near the file stating its 'Read-only.'
- Clicking the file shows message "Hmm… looks like this file doesn't have a preview we can show you.".
- Clicking the Download button does nothing.
- Problem occurs only with pdf files. Other Microsoft Office file types like Word, PowerPoint, Excel, image, etc. can be opened without any problem.
- You can successfully open the file by clicking "Open in SharePoint" link from the Files tab in Teams.
- Modifying the permissions and granting minimum Read/View access from SharePoint allows the file to open successfully.
- Behavior is same in public and private channels.
- Behavior is same in Desktop Client, Mobile App and Web browser.
- Behavior is same for organizational and external users.
Looks like Microsoft Teams expects minimum read permissions with download rights in order to preview the pdf file. Note that Teams has only 2 permission sets (Owner and Member), unlike SharePoint (Owners, Members, Visitors, plus custom permissions sets).
So if you want to restrict downloading of PDF's for your users, do it through SharePoint as it will break in Teams.
- How to enable, create and use Virtual Breakout Rooms in Microsoft Teams
- Users experience call quality issue, voice distortion, disconnection with Microsoft Teams call and meeting
- How to disable Microsoft teams from startup Windows 10
- Cannot create new Microsoft Team using PowerShell, even as Admin
- Common Microsoft Teams sign in errors and how to fix
- How to Enable Dark Mode Theme in Microsoft Teams
- How to track and download Microsoft Teams meeting attendance report of participants/students
- Microsoft Teams Zoom In and Zoom Out Keyboard Shortcut
- Microsoft Teams meeting Full Screen mode option missing - bring it back
- Microsoft Teams enable or disable Spell check
- Add scroll to div element in HTML Css - CSS
- Officially Send WhatsApp message using webpage (html) - WhatsApp
- Calculate Volume of Cone - C-Program
- Install Cygwin on Windows PC to learn Objective-C - Objective-C
- Spell check not working in Gmail : Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- [Soluiton] You already have the latest version of Android Studio installed - Android
- How to change Chrome Spell Check from UK English to US English - Chrome
- How to See Hidden Folders and Files on Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- Safari appends .html extension to files that are downloaded - Mac-OS-X
- Sharepoint errors were found when compiling the workflow - SharePoint
- Chessboard with pieces using pure HTML and CSS - Html
- Simple Struts 2 Tutorial in eclipse with tomcat 7 server - Java
- bash: command not found error on macOS Terminal, Linux, Unix or Windows - MacOS
- Android Studio Change SDK Path - Android