There is no built-in support for files with .rar extensions on the Mac running on macOS. So if you have a *.rar file downloaded from the web, or shared with you by your office colleague or friend, you will need an application or a binary that will extract RAR files.
Let us take a look at 2 different ways you can extract rar files,
1. Install rar formula using Homebrew
- Open Terminal App,
- Type the below command,
% brew install rar ==> Downloading https://www.rarlab.com/rar/rarmacos-arm-612.tar.gz ==> Installing Cask rar ==> Moving Generic Artifact 'default.sfx' to '/opt/homebrew/lib/default.sfx' ==> Moving Generic Artifact 'rarfiles.lst' to '/opt/homebrew/etc/rarfiles.lst' ==> Linking Binary 'rar' to '/opt/homebrew/bin/rar' ==> Linking Binary 'unrar' to '/opt/homebrew/bin/unrar' 🍺 rar was successfully installed!
Note: If you get error "zsh: brew command not found" then you need to install homebrew
RAR will be installed from https://www.rarlab.com
- To extract a file use command unrar e filename.rar
% unrar e myDir.rar
2. Install tools from the Mac App Store
There is a lot of rar file archiver and unarchive software that you can get from the official App Store on Mac. Here are a few of them you can try,
- Unzip - RAR ZIP 7Z Unarchiver: https://apps.apple.com/in/app/unzip-rar-zip-7z-unarchiver/id1537056818?mt=12
- The Unarchiver: https://apps.apple.com/in/app/the-unarchiver/id425424353?mt=12
- RAR Extractor - Unarchiver: https://apps.apple.com/in/app/rar-extractor-unarchiver/id646295438
Let us take a look at how to install The Unarchiver app on the Mac,
- Open App Store by going to Apple Menu -> App Store... (or Spotlight Search),
- Now Type in search "The Unarchiver",
- Click on the Get icon (you may be asked to enter your Apple ID Password or use Touch ID),
- Click Open once installed.
- Make sure to select the RAR options when the Preferences options come up.
To use this app simply right-click on the rar extension file and select Open With -> The Unarchiver
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Clear Screen shortcut macOS Terminal
- What is macOS Ventura?
- [fix] How to Show file extensions on all files on Mac
- How to Find Where Mac Terminal App is Located?
- AutoSave button not working on Office on Mac (Word, Excel or Powerpoint)
- macOS say command text to speech using various voices and languages
- How to change Ping TTL value on macOS
- Open .bash_profile File in TextEdit using Terminal
- How to know the Safari Version on Mac
- How to Copy full Absolute Path of a File on Mac
- 13.0 MacOS Ventura release date
- Enable spell check in Sublime Text (macOS)
- How to Display Analog Clock on Mac Menu Bar
- How to turn off Location Services macOS Ventura 13
- How to Open VS Code on Mac
- Add Bookmark macOS Safari
- How to Fix cd: too many arguments Error in Terminal: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to install wget on macOS
- Select Line Number TextEdit on Mac
- Strikethrough Text in Excel for Mac
- How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode on macOS Ventura 13
- How to hide or display Wifi icon in macOS Bug Sur Menu Bar
- How to install Yarn on Mac (macOS)
- How to fix command not found brew (bash, zsh) on macOS Terminal
- How to Schedule Mails in macOS Ventura
- JdbcTemplate Batch Insert Example using Spring Boot - Java
- How to know if you have blocked your friend Number on Android Phone - Android
- Google Local Guide Program and Perks of Contributing to Google Maps - Google
- How to turn off Automatically adjust brightness on Mac Ventura 13 - MacOS
- Bash How to Save Output of a Command to a Variable - Bash
- How to Refresh Mac Desktop - MacOS
- Java 8 - Convert List to Map Examples - Java
- Bootstrap tooltip not working - Bootstrap