Installing Anaconda on a Mac (macOS) is a straightforward process and can be done in just a few steps. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Go to https://www.anaconda.com/products/distribution#download-section
- Under Anaconda Distribution you should see a download button (will auto-detect that you are on macOS)
- Click the "Download" button to begin the download process (~650mb pkg file).
- Once the download is complete, open the Anaconda installer file (the file should have a name like Anaconda3-2023.03-MacOSX-x86_64.pkg)
- You might see a pop-up: "This package will run a program to determine if the software can be installed." click Allow.
- Click continue, you would be asked to Agree on the terms and enter your Mac password before the installation steps start.
- The installation step may take a while (you would see "Running Script" on the window.
- Once the installation is done, you can move the setup to trash.
- After installation, open your terminal and type "conda --version" to verify that Anaconda has been installed correctly.
% conda --version conda 23.1.0
- You can also open "Anaconda Navigator" App from spotlight search or Applications folder.
You should have access to the below list of applications.
JupyterLab Notebook Spyder VS Code Datalore Qt Console DataSpell IBM Watson Studio Cloud Oracle Data Science Service Glueviz (needs to be installed) Orange 3 (needs to be installed) PyCharm Professional (needs to be installed)
If you download the wrong version, you will see an error - "This package is incompatible with this version of macOS - The package is trying to install content to the system volume. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.."
Make sure to select the correct version if you are on Apple Silicon Chip (M1/M2 Chips) by scrolling down on the download page - https://www.anaconda.com/products/distribution#download-section
MacOS Python 3.10 64-Bit Graphical Installer (599 MB) 64-Bit Command Line Installer (601 MB) 64-Bit (M1) Graphical Installer (564 MB) 64-Bit (M1) Command Line Installer (565 MB)
Have Questions? Post them here!
- tkinter - Hello World! Program
- How to install Python Specific version (3.8, 3.9 or 3.10) using Brew
- How to install SpaCy (NLP Library) on Mac
- Python matplotlib segmentation fault: 11 macOS Big Sur
- How to uninstall pip Python packages
- 3 Ways to find if element is present in a List in Python
- How to Convert Python String to DateTime Object
- Python f-strings Formatted String Literals Syntax and Examples
- Where does brew install python in macOS
- Take input argument from command line in Python Programming
- Advanced print() Function Tutorial and Techniques for Python Developers
- How to add borders to tkinter label text
- Whats new in Python 3.10 Pre-release
- Float built-in function in Python
- List of All 35 Reserved Keywords in Python Programming Language 3.11
- How to check if Key Exists in Python Dictionary?
- Read a file line by line in Python Program
- ModuleNotFoundError: No module named qdarkstyle.colorsystem [Python]
- What is the Max and Minimum Value of int type in Python?
- What is Terminal Velocity and its Formula? How to calculate it programmatically?
- Fix: TypeError: can only concatenate str (not int) to str in Python
- How to take user input from the console in a Python program
- [Fix] TypeError: str object is not callable in Python
- 3 Python program to add two numbers
- How to delete a file using Python code example
- Change the default download location for Mac Safari - MacOS
- Text Case Converter - Convert to Upper/Lower/Proper/Random Case - Tools
- NOTE: This project contains resource errors, so aapt did not succeed, which can cause rendering failures. Fix resource problems first. - Android
- Fix - 412 Cookies Are Disabled error in Exchange Admin Center when you click hybrid - Microsoft
- Use your iPhone microphone as a mic on macOS Ventura - MacOS
- How to change Android Titlebar theme color from Purple - Android
- Convert SQL to CSV in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus