SharePoint users receiving the error "cannot connect to the configuration database" is very common and can be fixed by starting the SQL Server service from SQL Server Configuration Manager or from Services.msc.
But what if the SQL server IP has changed? The SQL instance goes down and SharePoint FARM cannot connect it. Let us explore how to fix it.
⭐ Best Practice - Always refer to SQL using Machine Name instead of IP Address
Follow below steps to re-connect the SharePoint FARM to SQL,
- Login to SharePoint Server and run Production Configuration Wizard
- Disconnect the database from SharePoint Server
- Login to the SQL Database Server and change the SQL Database Server IP Address
- Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
- Go to SharePoint_Config database and run the following command to change the Exist database IP Address
- Find Server Name/IP Address using following command and note the ID select * from Objects where Name LIKE \'%OLD IP ADDRESS%\'
- Update Server IP Address using following command Begin tran
- Update Objects set Name=\'NEW IP\' where Id=\'corresponding ID\'
- Commit tran
- Run SharePoint Product Configuration Wizard
Have Questions? Post them here!
More Posts related to SharePoint,
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- How to share SharePoint site or document with all users in organization
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- Access URL for SharePoint Tenant Admin Center (Online Office 365)
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint - The URL is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.Net
- How to Share Microsoft SharePoint Site with Users or Groups
- JSON column formatting to preview SharePoint Online file on mouse hover
- SharePoint List redirect user after submitting form NewForm.aspx
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help. (OSE403)
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to wrap column text in SharePoint Online Modern List Grid View using JSON formatting
- How to extend retiring SharePoint 2010 Workflows and continue with Office 365
- Changed AD user display name showing old name in SharePoint
- How to hide or remove quick launch left navigation from SharePoint Online Modern site page
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- Install Microsoft Remote Desktop (RDP) Client on Mac - Microsoft
- PowerShell iterate and get all SharePoint sites and sub sites - SharePoint
- 🌗 List of Solar Eclipses in the year 2020-2021 🌑 - Science
- Java 8 JDBC: Insert Timestamp Code Example - Java
- MySQL ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax [fix] - MySQL
- How to use Content Assist in Eclipse IDE - Eclipse
- Fetch More then 10 Links Per Page in Google Search Result - Google
- Java monitoring and management console [jconsole] - Java