SharePoint users receiving the error "cannot connect to the configuration database" is very common and can be fixed by starting the SQL Server service from SQL Server Configuration Manager or from Services.msc.
But what if the SQL server IP has changed? The SQL instance goes down and SharePoint FARM cannot connect it. Let us explore how to fix it.
⭐ Best Practice - Always refer to SQL using Machine Name instead of IP Address
Follow below steps to re-connect the SharePoint FARM to SQL,
- Login to SharePoint Server and run Production Configuration Wizard
- Disconnect the database from SharePoint Server
- Login to the SQL Database Server and change the SQL Database Server IP Address
- Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
- Go to SharePoint_Config database and run the following command to change the Exist database IP Address
- Find Server Name/IP Address using following command and note the ID select * from Objects where Name LIKE \'%OLD IP ADDRESS%\'
- Update Server IP Address using following command Begin tran
- Update Objects set Name=\'NEW IP\' where Id=\'corresponding ID\'
- Commit tran
- Run SharePoint Product Configuration Wizard
Have Questions? Post them here!
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- Update SharePoint Online List Item using REST API, HTML, Spfx, Postman
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- Create SharePoint list from Excel spreadsheet and import table
- Send Email using SharePoint PowerShell command, SMTP server
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- The service instance
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to change order of fields on new item form for SharePoint Online list
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- [fix] java: incompatible types: double cannot be converted to java.lang.Integer Generics - Java
- scp: ssh: connect to host xxxx port 22: Connection refused Error - Linux
- How to Scan iPhone for Virus? Is Antivirus it really required? - HowTos
- Remove duplicate lines using Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- 3 Examples to read a text file line by line using java - Java
- How to install AWS CLI on Ubuntu - AWS
- Remove URL Forward Slash Before Single or Double quotes in php.ini - PHP
- MO229507 UK Europe users cannot access Microsoft 365 - SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Admin center, Planner, Yammer - Microsoft