You must have noticed that as soon as you exit your Mac Terminal, the environment variable such as $PATH is not available. The $PATH was available until the Terminal session was active, but soon as it was terminated, we do not have access to the variable. In order to set the $PATH variable permanently, you would need to set it in the .zshrc file (Z-Shell resource file).
What is .zshrc file?
.zshrc is a Zsh shell resource file. This file runs whenever you start zsh shell. So all the commands and scripts you write in this file are executed as soon as you launch the terminal. So if you want to set paths and other variables that you need for day-to-day programming or executions, it's always better to add them to this file.
How to add $PATH in .zshrc file?
- Open Terminal,
- Make sure you are on Zsh Shell, if not type zsh and hit enter,
- Now type nano ~/.zshrc
- Now add your $PATH variable details: Example: export PATH="$PATH:/opt/homebrew/bin/"
- Press Control + X, followed by Y to save the file, press enter to exit Nano,
- Now type command source ~/.zshrc to apply changes.
Now even when you close your terminal and open it or switch between prompts, the Zsh shell will always have your $PATH variable set and it will not get lost.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to find path of file on Mac Terminal
- How to disable Siri on Mac Monterey
- [fix] macOS Ventura xcrun: error: invalid active developer path missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun
- Select Line Number TextEdit on Mac
- Go to Specific file path using Mac Finder
- How to find Java HOME in Mac Terminal
- bash: command not found error [macOS Terminal Linux, Unix or Windows]
- Must Know Homebrew Commands for Mac/Linux Users
- How to Insert an Inverted Question Mark on Mac ¿
- Hide Keyboard Text Input Icon on macOS Ventura Menu Bar
- How to make macOS Terminal window Transparent (or Opaque)
- How to check of Updates on Microsoft Edge Browser on Mac (macOS)
- Limit scrollback rows in macOS Terminal
- How to identify installed Java (JDK) Version on macOS
- Keyboard Shortcut to delete a file on a Mac [Macbook]
- Open Docker from Terminal Command on Mac
- Installing MongoDB on Linux/Unix/macOS/Ubuntu
- How to take a screenshot on a Mac - updated for Ventura 13 [updated 2023]
- ls: .: Operation not permitted - Mac Terminal ZSH Error
- How to remove username from Mac Menu Bar?
- macOS Ventura XCode Command Line Tools Installation
- Where is .zshrc file located in macOS
- How to Show Path of Files or App in Mac Spotlight Search
- How to enable root user on Mac Terminal
- Install Java 17 (LTS) JDK on ARM based M1/M2 Mac Natively
- Python Sleep Function/Method Code Example - Python
- Java 8: Steam map with Code Examples - Java
- How to Merge Branch into Master Branch - Git
- Advanced ways to set Custom Settings for a Website on Safari for Mac - MacOS
- fix macOS: The digital signature on the update is missing or invalid. Ventura - MacOS
- Show Desktop Keyboard Shortcut on Mac - MacOS
- Add Line Number before each line in Notepad++ using Column Editor - NotepadPlusPlus
- Android : Class file collision: A resource exists with a different case - Android