You must have noticed that as soon as you exit your Mac Terminal, the environment variable such as $PATH is not available. The $PATH was available until the Terminal session was active, but soon as it was terminated, we do not have access to the variable. In order to set the $PATH variable permanently, you would need to set it in the .zshrc file (Z-Shell resource file).
What is .zshrc file?
.zshrc is a Zsh shell resource file. This file runs whenever you start zsh shell. So all the commands and scripts you write in this file are executed as soon as you launch the terminal. So if you want to set path and other variables that you need for day-to-day programming or executions, its always better to add them in this file.
How to add $PATH in .zshrc file?
- Open Terminal,
- Make sure you are on Zsh Shell, if not type zsh and hit enter,
- Now type nano ~/.zshrc
- Now add your $PATH variable details: Example: export PATH="$PATH:/opt/homebrew/bin/"
- Press Control + X, followed by Y to save the file, press enter to exit Nano,
- Now type command source ~/.zshrc to apply changes.
Now even when you close your terminal and open it or switch between prompts, the Zsh shell will always have your $PATH variable set and it will not get lost.
- [macOS] NetBeans IDE cannot be installed. Java (JRE) found on your computer but JDK XX or newer is required.
- Zsh Shell: Custom alias that you may find useful
- How to switch from bash to zsh shell in macOS Terminal
- [Solution] macOS could not be installed on your computer OSInstall.mpkg appears to be missing or damaged
- Add Bookmark macOS Safari
- How to install Java on macOS [Big Sur]
- Move from Zsh to Bash shell macOS
- WARNING: Python 2.7 is not recommended [macOS Big Sur]
- This operation couldnt be completed. Unable to locate a Java Runtime. [macOS]
- How to do calculations in Mac Terminal
- Disable Fading Edges Scroll Effect Android Views - Android
- Android : Class file collision: A resource exists with a different case - Android
- Error: Can not find the tag library descriptor for "struts-tags" - Java
- [Java Threads] Should we extend Thread Class or implement Runnable interface - Java
- Android : Unable to load VM from snapshot : Mac OS X Error - Android
- Sublime Add text at start and end of each line - Sublime
- INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE Android Error - Android
- INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE Error Android Emulator - Android
- Change Android EditText Cursor Height - Android
- Align left align text in Bootstrap - Bootstrap
- Android Studio : Implement abstract methods shortcut - Android-Studio
- Android Studio Ctrl Shift o auto import not working - Android
- Detect swipes on Android Activity - Android
- Facebook | Error : Sorry, something went wrong We're working on it and we'll get it fixed as soon as we can - Facebook
- How to copy Chrome alert popup text to clipboard - Chrome