If you have not subscribed to iCloud storage plans, you will just get 5GB of storage and if you use the same Apple ID with your iPhone, Macbook and other devices its can easy get full within days.
You might have noticed that when you setup your new Mac or install a fresh macOS (e.g. macOS Ventura 13) you would see that iCloud syncs the Desktop and Downloads folders by default to iCloud Drive.
Removing Desktop and Documents folders from iCloud Drive
- Click on the Apple Menu
- Select System Preferences... (System Settings... on macOS Ventura),
- Now click on your user Memoji and click on iCloud Drive,
- Click on the Apps Syncing to iCloud Drive Options... button,
- Uncheck - Desktop & Documents Folders
- You will see a message,
If you continue, items will be removed from the Desktop and the Documents folder on this Mac and will remain available in iCloud Drive.
New items added to your Desktop or your Documents folder on this Mac will no longer be stored in iCloud Drive.
- Click turn off
All the files that were synced in iCloud from your Desktop and Downloads folders will disappear from your Mac, but will be available on your iCloud which you can copy back if you want, but these folders will no longer sync with iCloud Drive.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to check Command Line Tools Version [Updated for Ventura]
- Trigger Notification Center Message using Mac Terminal Command
- [macOS] How to search or view previous terminal command history
- Show/Hide Hidden Files and Directories on Mac Finder
- How to clear Mac Terminal screen
- Setting JAVA_HOME in macOS Big Sur
- How to find files taking up space on your Mac
- How to Show Battery percentage on Big Sur Menu Bar
- How to uninstall Microsoft Outlook on Mac
- Move from Zsh to Bash shell macOS
- Install Native Golang on M1/M2 ARM based Mac
- Shutdown Mac Terminal Command
- How to Refresh Mac Desktop
- How to Set Background Wallpaper on macOS 13 Ventura
- The Zsh Shell - Mac Tutorial
- Installing brew on M1/M2 ARM Mac
- Display Seconds in Digital Clock on Mac Menu Bar [macOS]
- How to Increase Mac Terminal Buffer Size
- Add Sketch from iPhone to MacBook with macOS Monterey
- How to view the desktop when using macOS Stage Manager?
- [fix] App store not working on Mac, Blank Black or White Screen
- [fix] How to Show file extensions on all files on Mac
- Limit scrollback rows in macOS Terminal
- How to open terminal on Mac to run commands
- Set Custom Background Wallpaper on Mac Terminal (macOS Ventura)
- Add new user in Ubuntu Linux using Terminal Command - Ubuntu
- How to display date and time in GMT Timezone in Java - Java
- How to connect to SFTP location using Terminal command - FTP
- W3 : character data is not allowed here html validation error - Html
- #HappyBirthdayJimin hashtag trending on BTS Jimin 25th birthday [BTS ARMY] - BTS
- Get cURL command from Chrome Inspect Network HTTP URL - cURL
- Chessboard with pieces using pure HTML and CSS - Html