If you switch from the default zsh shell to bash on macOS Ventura 13, you will see an info message saying default interactive shell is now zsh
% bash The default interactive shell is now zsh. To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`. For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050. bash-3.2$
When you visit the support link in the message you would know more,
Starting with macOS Catalina, your Mac uses zsh as the default login shell and interactive shell. bash is the default shell in macOS Mojave and earlier.
How to supress the default interactive shell is now zsh message
Open the terminal window and execute the below command.
% export BASH_SILENCE_DEPRECATION_WARNING=1
Now if you try to move to the bash shell, you will not see the message again.
How to change the default shell as bash
- Open Terminal App,
- Type chsh -s /bin/bash
- You will see a message: Changing shell for your-user, enter the password for the logged in user,
- The default shell will now be changed to bash!
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Ubuntu zsh: command not found: nano
- Setting up Zsh Syntax Highlighting
- Fix for zsh: command not found: brew
- Fix - zsh: command not found: conda [macOS]
- Resolve - zsh: command not found: code
- How to make zsh as the default shell on Ubuntu
- zsh: exec format error eclipse M1 Mac
- [fix] zsh: illegal hardware instruction python TensorFlow M1/M2 Mac
- Fix zsh: permission denied: script.sh
- zsh: command not found [fix] macOS
- C#.Net error The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send - SharePoint
- BeanDefinitionStoreException IOException parsing XML document from class path resource [spring.xml] - Java
- Channel 50 SMSes received every few minutes Android Phones - Android
- Install specific JRE on Ubuntu using apt - Ubuntu
- How to start/boot macOS in safe mode - Big Sur 11.0, Catalina 10.15, or Mojave 10.14 - MacOS
- How to reset Eclipse IDE Code Font - Eclipse
- Install Cygwin on Windows PC to learn Objective-C - Objective-C
- [FIX] AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main - java.lang.RuntimeException NullPointerException - Android