To install the Official Android Emulator for Mac the easiest way is to download the Android Studio IDE from https://developer.android.com/studio website.
- Go to https://developer.android.com/studio
- Click on Download Android Studio
- Accept the terms and select Mac with Intel or Mac with Apple Chip (if on M1/M2 ARM Silicon Chip) based on your device type.
- Click Allow downloads on “developer.android.com” if prompted while using Safari browser.
- Once the .dmg file is downloaded, click on it and drag the Android Studio app into Applications folder.
- Eject the Setup Disk on your Desktop.
- Now Search for Android Studio in Spotlight Search or get it from Finder -> Applications folder.
- Click Open when prompted.
- Click Next and Accept Terms until Finish.
- You would now see that the Android Emulator will get downloaded and Installed.
Preparing "Install Android Emulator (revision: 31.3.13)". Downloading https://dl.google.com/android/repository/emulator-darwin_aarch64-9189900.zip "Install Android Emulator (revision: 31.3.13)" ready. Installing Android Emulator in /Users/code2care/Library/Android/sdk/emulator "Install Android Emulator (revision: 31.3.13)" complete. "Install Android Emulator (revision: 31.3.13)" finished.
Note: This step will take a while as it will download all the additional required components for Android Studio.
Running the Android Emulator
- Create a new Android Project (or open an existing one)
- Now on the Android Menu: Tools -> Device Manager
- Under the Device section you would see a "Pixel" device, click on the play button to "Launch this AVD in the emulator"
- You should have the official Android Emulator launched.