If you want to change the Computer Name of your Mac (Macbook/iMac/Mac Studio) then you can make use of scutil command using the --set option.
% scutil --set ComputerName "<name>"
% scutil --set ComputerName "Sam's Macbook Pro"
You will get a prompt - "scutil is trying to modify the system network configuration. Touch ID or enter your password to allow this."
Note: There are 3 names on Mac that you should be aware of,
- Computer Name: The user-friendly name displayed on the Sharing preference pane and used for identifying your Mac on a local network.
- Localhost Name: The name that is displayed at the bottom of the Sharing Settings window
- Host Name: The name used to identify the computer on a network.
You can change all of them using scutil,
sudo scutil --set ComputerName "<your-new-name>"
sudo scutil --set LocalHostName "<your-new-name>"
sudo scutil --set HostName "<your-new-name>"
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Clear Screen shortcut macOS Terminal
- What is macOS Ventura?
- [fix] How to Show file extensions on all files on Mac
- How to Find Where Mac Terminal App is Located?
- AutoSave button not working on Office on Mac (Word, Excel or Powerpoint)
- macOS say command text to speech using various voices and languages
- How to change Ping TTL value on macOS
- Open .bash_profile File in TextEdit using Terminal
- How to know the Safari Version on Mac
- How to Copy full Absolute Path of a File on Mac
- 13.0 MacOS Ventura release date
- Enable spell check in Sublime Text (macOS)
- How to Display Analog Clock on Mac Menu Bar
- How to turn off Location Services macOS Ventura 13
- How to Open VS Code on Mac
- Add Bookmark macOS Safari
- How to Fix cd: too many arguments Error in Terminal: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to install wget on macOS
- Select Line Number TextEdit on Mac
- Strikethrough Text in Excel for Mac
- How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode on macOS Ventura 13
- How to hide or display Wifi icon in macOS Bug Sur Menu Bar
- How to install Yarn on Mac (macOS)
- How to fix command not found brew (bash, zsh) on macOS Terminal
- How to Schedule Mails in macOS Ventura
- How to Clear Cache for a website (URL) in Safari for Mac - MacOS
- How to remove old 404 pages ulrs from Google crawler - Html
- 5 Programming Languages to Learn in the Year 2021 - News
- Python: Pandas Rename Specific Column names in DataFrame Example - Python
- How to know the version of Ubuntu - Ubuntu
- Strikethrough Text in Excel for Mac - MacOS
- Fix: chroot: failed to run command /bin/bash: No such file or directory - Bash
- [docker] Error response from daemon: No such container - Docker