In this article, we will see how to install Git (the distributed version control system) on Windows Operating System.
There are over 15 steps that need to be followed to get Git for Windows (Git Bash) installed and a student who is about to start learning git may feel a bit lost, so I have tried to put down each step and walk-through what option you can select while the installation,
Steps to install Git on Windows
- First, you need to download the Git Setup from Official Git Website: https://git-scm.com/ and click on the Monitor link that says "Latest Source Release"
The current version I have downloaded is 2.29.2, you can also check the release notes to see what's new,
Git v2.29.2 Release Notes ========================= This release is primarily to fix brown-paper-bag breakages in the 2.29.0 release. Fixes since v2.29.1 ------------------- * In 2.29, "--committer-date-is-author-date" option of "rebase" and "am" subcommands lost the e-mail address by mistake, which has been corrected.
- Now once you have download the setup, double-click on the exe file: Git-22.214.171.124-64-bit.exe,
- You would see a screen that says,
User Account Control
Do you want this allow this app to make changes to your devices?
Click on yes!
- Now you should see the setup window:GNU General Public License, read it and click Next,
- Selet the Components that you want to be installed or ignored, you can keep it the default - but if you want to keep Git up-to-date you can check "Check daily for Git for Windows updates" option. Click Next,
- Here, Choose the default text editor for Git - you can choose from various options like Nano, Vim, Notepad++, Visual Studio Code (VS Code), Sublime Text, Atom or select some other by browsing, I choose Notepad++, Click Next,
- Adjusting the name of the initial Branch in new repositories:
If you go a git init as we know the default branch that's created is master, if you wish to change that to something like main, trunk, development, or any custom name you can select Override the default branch. Click Next,
- Adjust your Path Environment:
Here you will get three options,
- Use Git from Git Bash Only: If you select this the PATH environment variable will not be changed and you can only use the Git command using the Git Bash tool.
- Git from Command Line and 3-party Softwares: This is recommended. This will let the git command run from CMD and Powershell as well as 3-party tools.
- Use Git from optional Unix tools from the Command Prompt: This is not recommended as it messes with Windows CMD commands like find and sort, click Next.
- Choosing HTTPS transport backend: I kept this as default, Next,
- Configure the line ending conversions:
As a developer, you must be aware that most EOL Encoding issues - CRLF, CR, or LF that arise while working with cross-platforms. Writing code on Windows/macOS, deploying on Unix. So choose the option according to your use-case or leave it to default, Next,
- Choose the Terminal emulator to use with Git Bash: You can keep it default, Next
- Choose the default behavior of git pull: Choose the default option, Next
- Choose a credential helper: Choose the Git Credential Manager Core, Note Git Credential Manager is deprecated, Next,
- Configure Extra Options: You can keep this one as default as well "Enable file system Caching", Next,
- Configuring experimental options: This is a new feature, you can enable it if you do Node or Python development. Click Finish
⛏️ If you are looking for an older and specific version release of git then you can get them from GitHub: https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/releases, you can find 32-bit, 64-bit, Portable Git as well as the source code here.
How to test Git after installation:
Type Git Bash in Windows search and open it, try the below commands,
$ git --version git version 2.21.0.windows.1 $ mkdir my_git_repo $ git init Initialized empty Git repository in C:/Users/c2c/.git/ c2c@LAPTOP-XXXX MINGW64 ~ (master)
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to Install Git on Ubuntu Linux
- How to Merge Branch into Master Branch
- How to change directory in Git bash
- fatal: Unable to create '/c/git_repo/.git/index.lock': File exists. If no other git process is currently running, this probably means a git process crashed in this repository earlier.
- How to Install Git on Windows
- How to check your installed version of Git
- Share Multiple Images in WhatsApp using Android Intent - WhatsApp
- 🎃 Trending, Popular Halloween hashtags for year 2020 🎃 [Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat] - Hashtags
- Chrome : When Adobe flash player has finished updating, reload this page to active it - Chrome
- How to recover SharePoint FARM if the SQL Server IP changes - SharePoint
- SharePoint Excel error - The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser - SharePoint
- error CAML Query containing special characters - SharePoint
- 4 Open Source SQLite Editor for Mac OS X , Windows and Linux - Mac-OS-X
- Android Emulator Screenshot saved location - Android-Studio