% cd ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3 cd: too many arguments
"cd: too many arguments" error occurs when you are trying to make use of the cd - change directory command to change your current working directory in the terminal or the command line.
Why this error
As the error says you are providing too many arguments to the command, while it excepts only one.
To know more about the syntax of this error let's take a look at its man page.
cd [-L|-P] [directory]
In the above example where our cd command failed we have provided
% cd ~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3
So definitely the issue is that we have added spaces in the directory path that is treated as a next argument!
Possible Fixes: Step-by-Step
Fix 1: Surround the path with double quotes
% cd "~/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 3"
Fix 2: Make use of backslashes to escape special characters
You may also get this error if the directory name has special characters like braces.
# cd My Dir (Important) bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('
In such a case you can escape the special characters with backslashes
# cd My\ Dir\ \(Important\)/
Fix 3: Make use of tab completion
This is something that is highly recommended, while navigating to a directory using the cd command, always write some text pertaining to a directory and press the tab to autocomplete. It will automatically escape special characters for you!Example as gif demonstration.
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Clear Screen shortcut macOS Terminal
- What is macOS Ventura?
- [fix] How to Show file extensions on all files on Mac
- How to Find Where Mac Terminal App is Located?
- AutoSave button not working on Office on Mac (Word, Excel or Powerpoint)
- macOS say command text to speech using various voices and languages
- How to change Ping TTL value on macOS
- Open .bash_profile File in TextEdit using Terminal
- How to know the Safari Version on Mac
- How to Copy full Absolute Path of a File on Mac
- 13.0 MacOS Ventura release date
- Enable spell check in Sublime Text (macOS)
- How to Display Analog Clock on Mac Menu Bar
- How to turn off Location Services macOS Ventura 13
- How to Open VS Code on Mac
- Add Bookmark macOS Safari
- How to Fix cd: too many arguments Error in Terminal: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to install wget on macOS
- Select Line Number TextEdit on Mac
- Strikethrough Text in Excel for Mac
- How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode on macOS Ventura 13
- How to hide or display Wifi icon in macOS Bug Sur Menu Bar
- How to install Yarn on Mac (macOS)
- How to fix command not found brew (bash, zsh) on macOS Terminal
- How to Schedule Mails in macOS Ventura
- [Program] How to read three different values using Scanner in Java - Java
- Xcode 13 - unknown error compiling for iOS 15.0 but module has a minimum deployment target of iOS 15.2 - iOS
- Fix: Mac Screenshot opens in Mail Application - MacOS
- [fix] zsh: command not found: telnet on Mac - MacOS
- pip get list of all outdated Python packages - Python
- 5 Reasons Why Jupyter Notebook is Not Opening and Solutions - Python
- How to wrap column text in SharePoint Online Modern List Grid View using JSON formatting - SharePoint
- Java: Print Stack Trace as String Without Exception - Java