Ever came across a situation when you are in an online meeting or conference, and you cannot concentrate because of continuous noise in the background - be it your children playing around, barking dogs, echo due to small closed room, or even having lunch over a meeting? Surely, we all have come across such situations and sometimes wish we go back to the office! 🤕
Well, if you use Microsoft Teams for meetings and do not want to be distracted, now you have the ability to remove background noise during calls and meetings with the AI-based noise suppression option in Teams 😎. You can enable this feature with few adjustments in device settings. With the world moving to more work from home due to COVID-19 pandemic, this feature comes in as bliss.
⚡️ Microsoft Teams: AI-based noise suppression - Microsoft uses AI-based, real-time noise suppression feature to automatically remove unwelcome background noise during meetings. It uses machine learning (ML) to differentiate clean speech and noise by analyzing audio feed and using specially trained deep neural networks to filter out the noise and retain only the speech signal. Users can control how much noise suppression is required - High / Medium / Low.
✏️ Steps to configure Team noise suppression
- Open Microsoft Teams Desktop client.
- Select the profile picture (top right corner) --> Click Settings.
- Select Devices option --> Noise suppression --> expand and select suitable option.
- Auto (default) - The Teams app decides on the best level of noise suppression based on local noise.
- High - Suppresses all background sound that isn't speech.
- Low - Suppresses low levels of persistent background noise, such as a computer fan or air conditioner. Use this setting for playing music.
- Off - Noise suppression is disabled. Use this setting for high-fidelity microphones in low noise environments.
⚠️ Additional points
- When set to "High", the computer processor must support Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2). Most of the current systems support this.
- Suppression may not be available if the meeting is being recorded or live captions are turned on, this is to save additional processing power.
- When set to "High", more computer resources are used. Check your computer configuration. If the device uses too many resources during a call, the setting may fall back to Low.
- Noise suppression automatically apples to meeting recordings stored in MS Stream (Azure service) or OneDrive for Business.
- If you are using a MAC and do not see this option, it may be rolling out for you, expected to complete by August 2021 (Microsoft 365 roadmap 82826).
- This feature is available for all MAC users except for those with new MACs that have the M1 ARM processor.
- If the noise suppression option missing in Teams Desktop Client or Teams Mobile App, try below
- Make sure you have the latest updated Teams App (profile picture > check for updates).
- Sign out and sign back in to Teams.
- Clear Teams cache files from %appdata%\Microsoft\Teams folder.
- Try rebooting your laptop/computer.
- Contact your Tenant/Teams Administrator, or contact Microsoft support.
Lastly, though noise suppression works great, it cannot compete with Teams certified devices like headsets and speaker phones, which provide better audio quality and noise canceling.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to track and download Microsoft Teams meeting attendance report of participants/students
- How to Install Microsoft Teams App on M1 or M2 Mac
- How to uninstall/remove or disable Microsoft Teams
- How to enable, create and use Virtual Breakout Rooms in Microsoft Teams
- Cannot open or preview pdf with view only and restricted download access in Microsoft Teams
- How to enable Do Not Disturb (DND) mode in Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Teams - Where would you like to start - Business or Personal
- [fix] White Screen when open Teams on Windows
- How to turn on channel notifications for Microsoft Teams
- Fix: Teams is in preview in Safari on Mac
- Microsoft Teams Error code - 6 issue
- Microsoft Teams Zoom In and Zoom Out Keyboard Shortcut
- [Microsoft Teams] You're not on Teams yet, but you can set it up for your organization.
- Microsoft Teams meeting Full Screen mode option missing - bring it back
- Fix Something went wrong 0xCAA20004 [Microsoft Teams]
- Cannot access files within Microsoft Teams - We are setting up your file directory
- How to Enable Dark Mode Theme in Microsoft Teams
- [Fix] Modern authentication failed here, but youll still be able to sign in. Your status code is 4c7 - Microsoft Teams
- Microsoft Teams enable or disable Spell check
- Fix Microsoft Teams Admin Center error - The Security zone setting isn't configured correctly
- Microsoft Teams adds New Conversation Button
- Microsoft Teams Error - You cannot add another work account to Teams at the moment
- How to Update Microsoft Teams to the latest Version
- Cannot create new Microsoft Team using PowerShell, even as Admin
- How to enable Auto-Save Files in VS Code - HowTos
- Git Remove Untracked Files using Command - Git
- How to Update Microsoft Teams to the latest Version - Teams
- How to know the MAC address of iPhone/iPad Wifi - iOS
- Microsoft Teams: Sign-in is blocked error - Teams
- Multiline EditText in Android Example - Android
- Get List of all local branches git command - Git
- [Fix] Microsoft Store Error Code: 0x803F8001 - Microsoft