This Article demonstrates how you can display the full website address in the Safari web browser.
As a web developer I always prefer to see the complete URL in the address bar of a web browser, it gives one a complete understanding of what the page is about and also to remember the URL to be manually typed later.
One thing you must have noticed in the latest Safari browser for macOS (Big Sur) is that you only see the name of the website eg: code2care.org and not the complete URL or the address of the page that you are currently viewing.
In order to see the complete address you will need to go to the Safari menu Preferences option, then go to the Advanced tab, now you will see the "Smart Search Field" check the checkbox "Show full website address". Now when you will have a look at your address bar (also called Smart Search Filed) you will be able to see the complete website address.
Quick steps to Enable website full address in Safari
- Open Safari web browser,
- Now to to Menubar -> Safari -> Preferences...
- Click on Advanced tab,
- Check "Show full website address" next to "Smart Search Field"
- Close Advanced window.
✌️You can use Keyboard Shortcut: Command + Comma keys to open the Advanced option.
If you want to hide the complete address, you can follow the same steps and just uncheck "Show full website address".
Below are some screenshots that show you examples of how the Safari address bar URL looks when this option is displayed and enabled.
Some reasons why you would like to see a full address:
- You are a software developer and as an advanced user, you would need to look at the complete URL and the query parameters while designing and testing your web application.
- You are a pro user and prefer to navigate to different pages of the website by changes the URL manually especially changing query string (GET) parameters.
- You are that person who prefers to see the full address instead of just the domain name.
- How to load zsh profile on opening shell terminal
- Set Python 3.8 as a default python version on macOS
- Show CPU and Memory Usage on macOS Menu Bar
- How to save macOS Terminal outputs as text file
- How to install wget on macOS
- Display ls command file sizes in KB (kilobytes) MB (megabytes) or GB (gigabytes) [Linux/macOS]
- How to Change Mouse Wheel Scroll Direction on Mac
- macOS R installation steps
- How to open terminal on Mac to run commands
- How to know your Mac Screen Resolution?
- Safari - Get HTTP Request Response Headers
- Opening mac Terminal
- bash: command not found error [macOS Terminal Linux, Unix or Windows]
- Add Bookmark macOS Safari
- How to check RAM details on Mac?
- How to install Java on macOS [Big Sur]
- How to Display Analog Clock on Mac Menu Bar
- How to remove app from Dock when closed [macOS Big Sur]
- How to add to PATH in macOS Big Sur
- Keyboard Shortcut to delete a file on a Mac [Macbook]
- How to increase macOS Terminal text font size (Big Sur)
- Permanently set $PATH variable in Mac Zsh shell
- Delete a Directory using Mac Terminal Command
- Remove Now Playing icon from macOS Big Sur Menu Bar
- How to find files taking up space on your Mac
- Unable to load VM from snapshot. The snapshot has been saved for a different hardware configuration - Android
- WhatsApp launches WhatsApp Web to Access Messages over web browser - WhatsApp
- Change color of macOS terminal prompt - MacOS
- Installing JD Decompiler plugin in Eclipse IDE - Eclipse
- Microsoft Lists and SharePoint Online edit grid view - use undo and redo changes - SharePoint
Have Questions? Post them here!