Notepad++ text editor works only on Windows (sadly!) and thus the default line encoding for the files you create using Notepad++ is Windows - CR LF.
This could be problematic for developers or DevOps who are working on a file that needs to be deployed on Unix/Linux or Mac devices.
Tip: You can quickly tell what the file/tab line encoding is by looking at the status bar at the far right.
How to change the default line encoding for new documents/tabs in Notepad++?
- Go to Settings -> Preferences...
- Now select New Documents from the side bar.
- Under Format (Line ending), you will see by default "Windows (CR LF)" is selected, choose among,
- Unix (LF)
- Macintosh (CR)
- Click close.
Now when you will open any new tab or a new document, it will have a default line encoding that you just selected.
Have Questions? Post them here!
More Posts related to NotepadPlusPlus,
- Notepad++ Editor alternatives for macOS
- How to add or remove bookmark on a line in Notepad++
- Notepad++ do not show CRLF characters
- Reduce the size of Tabs on Notepad++
- Delete blank lines in a file using Notepad++
- Fix: Notepad++ bottom status bar not visible
- Notepad++ Hex Editor
- How to show End of Line Characters in File using Notepad++
- [Tutorial] Write And Run Python Code In Notepad++ Editor
- How to install XML Tools Plugin Notepad++
- Customizing Notepad++ New Document Line Encoding: CR/LF/CR LF
- How to remove blank lines from a file using Notepad++
- Column Mode Editing in Notepad++
- Convert text to random case using Notepad++
- How to recover unsaved notepad file Windows 10
- How to delete all text after a character or string in Notepad++
- Setting up Cloud feature with Notepad++
- Install Notepad++ silently using Windows Powershell
- Using Document Map in Notepad++
- Enabling Notepad++ Dark Theme
- [Fix] Notepad++ tab not visible (hidden)
- Where are Notepad++ macros stored?
- Multiple line editing in Notepad++
- Alternatives for Notepad++ on Mac in 2021
- [Nopepad++] How to add text at end of each line
- Fix: This app is no longer shared with you error iPhone or iPad iOS - HowTos
- [Solution] IntelliJ: Cannot find declaration to go to, Nothing here, Java file outside of source root Errors - Java
- How to Sign Up for ChatGPT AI Chat Bot with Steps - HowTos
- Notepad++ Replace space with Dot - NotepadPlusPlus
- [Fix] bash: script.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory - Bash
- How to Kill a port using bash terminal command? - Bash
- How to Fix cd: too many arguments Error in Terminal: A Step-by-Step Guide - MacOS
- [Fix] Microsoft teams error code 503 - Failed to reach https - Teams