Before you can commit anything to the Git repository you need to set the user.name and user.email configurations.
If you do not set it by yourself, git does it for you, example on the Mac device it will set the Author and Committer as the device name as default, for example: code2care <code2care@localhost>
If you want to change these values using Eclipse IDE, follow the below steps,
- Open Eclipse,
- Go to Settings (Preferences..)
- Now Go to Version Control (Team) -> Git -> Configuration
- Under User Settings tab, click on Add Entry and add two keys with your values,
user.name = chrism user.email = firstname.lastname@example.org
- Click Apply and Close.
As you can see in the below screenshot, the user details have changed.
Note: It is always better to set the user details at the git config --global level via the command line.
$ git config --global user.name user $ git config --global user.email email
Have Questions? Post them here!
- [Fixed] Git Clone email@example.com: Permission denied (publickey) Could not read from remote repository Fatal error
- Github: How to Invite Collaborators
- Git Commit - Author identity unknown, Please tell me who you are email
- [Solution] fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
- [fix] zsh: command not found: git
- Github: fatal: Authentication failed Support for password was removed on August 13, 2021
- Get List of all local branches git command
- Git Revision Questions Before the Interview
- git fatal: Authentication failed error [fix]
- How to Install Git on Ubuntu Linux
- GitHub: How to Search Code
- How to change Git Default Author and Committer details in Eclipse
- How to check your installed version of Git
- Install GitHub Command Line Tool on Mac
- How to Merge Branch into Master Branch
- Perform an Empty Commit in Git without anything in Staging Area
- Git Fix: fatal: refusing to merge unrelated histories Error
- How to undo last Git Commit on Local Repository?
- git command to remove/unstage files from staging area
- Step-by-Step: Setting up Docker + Ubuntu Linux + Git + GitHub Tutorial
- Remove git config at Local, Global or System Levels?
- Fix [oh-my-zsh] Cant update: not a git repository
- Git Config Command - A Deep Dive
- fatal: Unable to create '/c/git_repo/.git/index.lock': File exists. If no other git process is currently running, this probably means a git process crashed in this repository earlier.
- How to change directory in Git bash
- Change color of macOS terminal prompt - MacOS
- How to Right Click on Mac Desktop? - MacOS
- Use Netbeans keyboard shortcuts in Android Studio - Android-Studio
- How to add border to Android Button - Android
- Copy all .vcf Mobile Contacts files into one .vcf - HowTos
- Bootstrap Nav Menu Dropdown on hover - Bootstrap
- How to Get the List of Shells on Linux - Linux
- How to know your Mac Screen Resolution? - MacOS