Before you can commit anything to the Git repository you need to set the user.name and user.email configurations.
If you do not set it by yourself, git does it for you, example on the Mac device it will set the Author and Committer as the device name as default, for example: code2care <code2care@localhost>
If you want to change these values using Eclipse IDE, follow the below steps,
- Open Eclipse,
- Go to Settings (Preferences..)
- Now Go to Version Control (Team) -> Git -> Configuration
- Under User Settings tab, click on Add Entry and add two keys with your values,
user.name = chrism user.email = email@example.com
- Click Apply and Close.
As you can see in the below screenshot, the user details have changed.
Note: It is always better to set the user details at the git config --global level via the command line.
$ git config --global user.name user $ git config --global user.email email
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Fix [oh-my-zsh] Cant update: not a git repository
- [fix] fatal: pathspec index.html did not match any files error
- How to ignore files in git using .gitignore file
- Git Fix: fatal: refusing to merge unrelated histories Error
- Install GitHub Command Line Tool on Mac
- How to change directory in Git bash
- Get List of all local branches git command
- fix fatal: --local can only be used inside a git repository error
- [git] fatal: your current branch 'main' does not have any commits yet
- Git Revision Questions Before the Interview
- Change the default git branch name from master to main
- git command to remove/unstage files from staging area
- Remove git config at Local, Global or System Levels?
- [fix] fatal: this operation must be run in a work tree in git
- Clone a particular remote brach using git clone command
- How do I get a list of all branches in Git?
- How to check your installed version of Git
- Step-by-Step: How to delete a git branch from local as well as remote origin
- Git Commit - Author identity unknown, Please tell me who you are email
- fatal: Unable to create '/c/git_repo/.git/index.lock': File exists. If no other git process is currently running, this probably means a git process crashed in this repository earlier.
- How to Rename a Git Local Branch Using the --move Option
- Perform an Empty Commit in Git without anything in Staging Area
- [Fixed] Git Clone firstname.lastname@example.org: Permission denied (publickey) Could not read from remote repository Fatal error
- GitHub: How to Search Code
- Rename git branch on Local and GitHub Remove using Command
- cURL DELETE Request with Examples - cURL
- Pandas: Reading .xlsx or .xls Excel Files - Python
- SharePoint formula - Calculated columns cannot contain volatile functions like Today and Me - SharePoint
- Spring Boot: @RequestBody not applicable to method - Java
- Display Era details (AD BC) in Java Date using SimpleDateFormat - Java
- Most Essencial AWS CLI 2 S3 ls Command Options - AWS
- How to Print the Name of a Variable in Python - Python
- How to Read a binary File with Python - Python