Before you can commit anything to the Git repository you need to set the user.name and user.email configurations.
If you do not set it by yourself, git does it for you, example on the Mac device it will set the Author and Committer as the device name as default, for example: code2care <code2care@localhost>
If you want to change these values using Eclipse IDE, follow the below steps,
- Open Eclipse,
- Go to Settings (Preferences..)
- Now Go to Version Control (Team) -> Git -> Configuration
- Under User Settings tab, click on Add Entry and add two keys with your values,
user.name = chrism user.email = email@example.com
- Click Apply and Close.
As you can see in the below screenshot, the user details have changed.
Note: It is always better to set the user details at the git config --global level via the command line.
$ git config --global user.name user $ git config --global user.email email
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to ignore files in git using .gitignore file
- How to update expired GitHub token on local git remote config
- How to undo last Git Commit on Local Repository?
- Git Commit - Author identity unknown, Please tell me who you are email
- Git: Step-by-Step - How to Push Local Brach to GitHub
- [Solution] fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
- Remove git config at Local, Global or System Levels?
- Change the default git branch name from master to main
- fix fatal: --local can only be used inside a git repository error
- Git Remove Untracked Files using Command
- How to remove or unstage a file from git staged area
- Fix Git: Warning: could not find UI helper GitHub.UI on Windows
- Fix [oh-my-zsh] Cant update: not a git repository
- Get List of all local branches git command
- Github: fatal: Authentication failed Support for password was removed on August 13, 2021
- [fix] fatal: this operation must be run in a work tree in git
- How to Install Git on Windows
- Perform an Empty Commit in Git without anything in Staging Area
- Rename git branch on Local and GitHub Remove using Command
- Fix: error: could not lock config file /etc/gitconfig: Permission denied
- Get the file location of git config values
- Git: Delete Branch Locally and Remotely at Origin
- fatal: Unable to create '/c/git_repo/.git/index.lock': File exists. If no other git process is currently running, this probably means a git process crashed in this repository earlier.
- Github: How to Invite Collaborators
- How to change directory in Git bash
- Program 9: Divide Two Numbers - 1000+ Python Programs - Python-Programs
- How to clear ZSH history of commands executed on Mac Terminal - zsh
- Whats new in Python 3.10 Pre-release - Python
- [Solution] Installing Whatsapp There's insufficient space on the device - WhatsApp
- Java equals method - Tutorial - Java
- Sort ls command by last modified date and time - Linux
- Docker Alpine Linux and Apache2 Example - Docker