Performing calculations, such as adding up a list of numbers, is one of the most common tasks in Microsoft Excel. Luckily, Excel provides many built-in functions to help you perform calculations quickly and easily. One of the most useful functions for adding up numbers is called SUM.
When you open an Excel sheet or create a new one on your Mac, you will notice a bar just below the ribbon labeled as fx this is called the "Formula Bar". This bar displays the formula or function that is currently being used in the selected cell. You can also use the Formula Bar to enter or edit formulas and functions in Excel.
To learn how to calculate SUM, let us add some data to work with in Sheet1.Example Data:
|Region||2020 Earnings (in $)||2021 Earnings (in $)||2022 Earnings (in $)|
1. Display SUM on the Status bar by selecting Column
As you can see in the above gif example, as you select Columns B, C, or D, the SUM is calculated and displayed on the bottom Status Bar in Excel. This is really useful when you just want to see how the numbers add up in different cells on the fly.
Calculate SUM using SUM Formula
As you would see in the above gif example, we have made use of the SUM formula in 3 ways.
1. By using the SUM function on the Cell
Move your pointer to the cell where you want to calculate the SUM, now type equal-to followed by SUM and open bracket, and select all the cells from column B to calculate.
2. By Click on the fx bar
When you click on fx you will see that a Formula Builder sidebar appears where you can click on SUM after making sure your position on the sheet is where you want to display the sum
3. Using the Formula Bar
Like example 1, we type the formula on the formula bar instead of the cell.
Note: All examples are based on Microsoft Excel for Mac running on macOS Specifications: Excel Version: Version 16.70 (23021201) Operating System: macOS Ventura 13 Chip: Apple Silicon M2 Device: Macbook Pro
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Microsoft Office Excel - Couldnt Open the Workbook - The workbook cannot be opened.
- [Fix] Microsoft AADSTS900561: The endpoint only accepts POST requests. Received a GET request.
- Remove Possible Data Loss Message from Microsoft Excel
- [Fix] Cannot connect to Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456
- Microsoft Stream - This may not be for you, It looks like you don't have permission to watch this video
- How to fix Microsoft Windows 10 update error 80070020
- Outlook - The mailbox isn't available. This may have occurred because the license for the mailbox has expired.
- [Fix] Connect to Minecraft Remote Connect URL via https //aka.ms/remoteconnect
- AADSTS90033: A transient error has occurred. Please try again. [Microsoft 365]
- Fix Power Automate FLOW error - InvalidTemplate Unable to process template language expressions in action
- FCM Messages! Testing Notifcation from Microsoft to investigate this problem [Microsoft Teams]
- Remove mailto link from Microsoft 365 Word Document Email Text
- How to turn off Dark theme in Excel for Mac
- Microsoft Sign-in Error Code: 50058 (Request Id, Correlation Id and Timestamp)
- Fix 0x80070194 Error When Opening Microsoft OneDrive File
- [fix] Microsoft Error Code 0x80004005 - Unspecified error
- Fix - Microsoft Windows Error Code: 0xA00F4244 NoCamerasAreAttached
- Save a Notepad file as Microsoft Excel file
- MO229507 UK Europe users cannot access Microsoft 365 - SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Admin center, Planner, Yammer
- How to know file encoding in Microsoft Windows Notepad?
- How to save a file as csv in Windows Notepad?
- Microsoft Office Mac Ventura: System Settings must be changed before Microsoft AutoUpdate can run
- Fix Error CAA50021 - Number of retry attempts exceeds expectation - Microsoft 365 Apps
- Microsoft 365 Excel - PRO TIP Discover insights quickly with Power BI, which is already included in your Microsoft services, See it in action
- [Microsoft Teams 4c7] Modern authentication failed here, but you'll still be able to sign in. Your status code is 4c7 error
- Comparator with Lambda Examples - Java
- How to take a photo on MacBook using Terminal Command? - MacOS
- How to connect Airpods to Macbook Air or Pro? - MacOS
- How to Remove All Terminated Console tabs at once in Eclipse - Eclipse
- [Solution] Installing Whatsapp There's insufficient space on the device - WhatsApp
- How to create tar.gz file using Terminal Command - Linux
- Open Current Directory in Finder using Mac Terminal - MacOS