In bash shell or scripting it is possible to assign a command to a variable using command the below simple syntax.
# mylist="ls -ltrha" # $mylist total 0 -rw-r--r--@ 1 c2ctech staff 0B May 4 21:46 Annual-Queries-2023.xlsx -rw-r--r--@ 1 c2ctech staff 0B May 4 21:46 ToDo-List.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 c2ctech staff 0B May 4 21:48 prod-script.py -rw-r--r-- 1 c2ctech staff 0B May 4 21:48 satge-script.py -rw-r--r-- 1 c2ctech staff 0B May 4 21:50 .secret-records.csv -rw-r--r-- 1 c2ctech staff 0B May 4 21:50 .config drwxr-xr-x 2 c2ctech staff 64B May 4 21:50 .unclassified drwxr-xr-x@ 5 c2ctech staff 160B May 4 22:00 Archive-2010-2020 drwxr-xr-x@ 4 c2ctech staff 128B May 4 22:01 Archive-2020-2030 drwxr-xr-x@ 12 c2ctech staff 384B May 4 22:11 . drwx------@ 19 c2ctech staff 608B May 4 22:13 .. drwxr-xr-x 7 c2ctech staff 224B May 4 22:20 myfiles
As you can see in the above example, we have assigned the ls command with options to the mylist variable, next when we execute the variable using a $ prefix, our command stored in the variable gets executed.
Though there is a command called as alias specifically for it, but you can make use of the variable approach and save a complex (with piping) commands and execute them with ease.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to Assign Bash Command to Variable
- How to Kill a port using bash terminal command?
- Bash For Loop Example
- bash: netstat: command not found
- Bash getopts Command Example
- How to fix bash ping command not found error
- [Fix] bash: script.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
- [fix] bash: ssh: command not found
- Fix bash: script.sh: Permission denied Error
- bash: ls command to see list files in current directory all subdirectories
- How to see Created Accessed Modified and Changed dates of a file using bash terminal command
- How to use Autocomplete and Autosuggestion in Shell Commands
- Bash Hello World! Script Tutorial
- Install Bash Completion on macOS
- bash get year 2021 calendar
- How to create new user account in Windows bash
- Bash command to wait for seconds
- Know Bash shell version command
- How to start or open a new bourne-again shell (bash) session on Windows using Command Line CMD
- How to check your IP using bash for Windows?
- Bash Script to prefix files with sequential numbers in a directory
- How to Compare Strings in Bash
- Command to Sort File In Reverse Order [Unix/Linux/macOS]
- How to know the current shell you are logged in?
- List all Username and User ID using Bash Command
- How to comment code in Python - Python
- How to Open Calculator using Mac Terminal - MacOS
- say command macOS terminal examples - MacOS
- Robinhood unexpected server error - Android
- How to delete all text after a character or string in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Implementing Merge Sort Algorithm in Java Program - Java
- How to create MD5 digest in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- SharePoint installation - Appfabric installation failed because installer MSI returned with error code:1603 - SharePoint