There could be many reasons why Jupyter Notebook may not open, we take a look at the top 5 reasons.
Reason 1: You are using Incorrect Command:
If you are having trouble running the command in CMD or Terminal then you can try one of the below commands as per your setup and see if it works. I have tried to collect as many ways as I know if I have missed any out, please add it to the comment so others may find it helpful.
Windows Command Prompt (CMD):
If Using Anaconda Prompt (Conda):
General: Using Python3
Terminal on macOS/Linux/Unix:
python3 -m notebook
python -m notebook
If you still are having issues opening Jupyter, then you can try to install a package called nbopen, it is a really cool module that will help you open the Notebook with just a single command
pip install nbopen
pip3 install nbopen
Now all you need to do is run nbopen command in the Terminal/CMD.
Reason 2: You do not have Jupyter Notebook Installed
One of the most common reasons why Jupyter Notebook will not start is you have activated a Python/Conda environment that does not have notebook installed.Example:
% source activate (virtualenv) Code2care@Mac % python3 -m notebook /Users/c2cdev/Desktop/virtualenv/bin/python3: No module named notebook
Now when I deactivate the virtual environment, the same command works!
Reason 3: There is a Port Conflict!
At times there could be some application using port 8888, in such case if you make use of the --port option to choose another port.Example:
jupyter notebook --port 8899
Reason 4: Firewall or Antivirus Blocking Notebook
There is a possibility that your firewall or antivirus software might be blocking the connection to the Jupyter Notebook server. To fix this, make sure to add the Jupyter Notebook as an exception rule.
Reason 5: Dependencies and Extensions Issue
There can be incorrect or conflicting dependencies or notebook extensions which is causing Jupyter Notebook startup failures.
You can disable the extensions and try if it works.
jupyter notebook --no-browser
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Python: Convert Date to DateTime
- How to sort a List using Lambda in Python
- Python matplotlib segmentation fault: 11 macOS Big Sur
- What is Terminal Velocity and its Formula? How to calculate it programmatically?
- How to install Python 3.11 on Mac
- How to flatten a nested list in Python
- Python: Pandas Merge DataFrames on Index Example
- How to Run all Cells at Once Jupyter Notebook
- Python - Convert float to String
- How to add borders to tkinter label text
- How to Exit a Loop in Python Code
- [Python] Fix: ValueError: All arrays must be of the same length
- Sorting an array using Bubble Sort in Python Programming
- How to Unzip a file using Python
- Python: Merge DataFrames Pandas Outer Join Example
- Change label (text) color in tkinter
- Convert Float to String in Python
- Fix: fatal error: No such file or directory compilation terminated
- Python: Access index/counter of a for loop iteration
- Import Other Python Files Examples
- How to install Anaconda on Mac (M1/M2 Mac)
- Python Regular Expression to Find All Matches in List
- How to Read a binary File with Python
- How to disable warnings while Python file execution
- Know current Python Version
- How to Uninstall Android Studio on Mac - Android-Studio
- [Fix] Springboot: Web application could not be started as there was no ServletWebServerFactory bean defined in the context. - Java
- Sign in as different user missing in SharePoint 2013 how to enable - SharePoint
- Java JDBC Batch Update Example with PreparedStatement - Java
- Calculate Volume of Pyramid - C-Program
- Change Google Chrome Browsers default download location - Chrome
- [Solution] IDEA IntelliJ System.out.println function shortcut (sysout alternative for eclipse IDE) - HowTos
- Closest Alternate to Notepad on Mac - MacOS