Recently when I downloaded and installed Docker Desktop on my new Macbook, I saw something different. Instead of saying, "Docker Desktop is running" on the macOS Menu bar, it read "Running in Resource Saver mode".
What is Running in Resource Saver mode?
- How to docker remove a container when it exits
- Install Python on Alpine Linux - Docker
- How to Rename Docker Image with none TAG and REPOSITORY?
- Remove all stopped containers in Docker using prune command
- [Fix] Docker Error response from daemon: manifest for :latest not found: manifest unknown
- [fix] Error response from daemon: conflict unable to remove repository reference ubuntu container is using its referenced image
- [Docker] Install Python3 on Alpine Linux
- Unable to find image docker latest locally
- How to Stop/Cancel/kill docker image pull
- How to know the Docker Engine Version
- [fix] Docker: OCI runtime exec failed unable to start container process
- [Solution] Alpine Docker apt-get: not found
- Install and Run Cassandra on Docker Desktop
- Install node on Alpine Linux Docker
- How to Copy files from Docker Container to Host System
- Install the minimal Linux on Docker (only 5 mb Alpine Linux)
- How to stop and start a docker container
- Docker - Error response from daemon: You cannot remove a running container
- Open Docker Desktop from macOS Terminal
- How to check installed docker version command
- How to know the Docker Sandbox ID of a Container Network?
- [fix] docker: Error response from daemon: dial unix docker.raw.sock: connect: no such file or directory.
- [Docker] Install Git on Alpine Linux
- Docker MySQL Compose File with Volume Example
- [fix] Docker: Alpine Linux - /bin/sh: bash: not found
- 33: Python Program to find the current time in India (IST) - Python-Programs
- Where are Plugins Installed in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- [fix] Chrome: no listeners for an event URLS_SAFE_CHECK__STATUS_UPDATED - Chrome
- Fix [Fatal Error] :2:6: The processing instruction target matching [xX][mM][lL] is not allowed. - Java
- FileZilla Connection time out Failed to retrieve directory listing - FTP
- How to Select All text in vim/vi editor using Keyboard - Linux
- Microsoft Teams Error code - 6 issue - Teams
- Notepad++ select all above or below lines - NotepadPlusPlus
This is a new feature introduced by Docker in the version 4.22.0 (I am currently using 4.23).
This is a great feature that helps you to conserve resources of your Windows/Mac device by reducing energy consumption utilized by Docker in terms of CPU/GPU and memory.
DockerDesktop 4.22 is now available and includes a new Resource Saver feature that massively reduces idle memory and CPU utilization to ensure efficient use of your machine’s resources.
Reference notes from: https://www.docker.com/blog/docker-desktop-4-22/
When the Docker Desktop on your Mac/Windows device is idle without any active containers for a duration of 30 seconds, the Resource Saver automatically reduces the memory and CPU footprint and when a container needs resources, they’re quickly allocated on demand.
You can notice this yourself when you start Docker Desktop and leave it idle for 30 seconds having no containers running, you will see that a leaf appears over the whale icon in your Docker Desktop menu and the sidebar of the Docker Desktop dashboard, indicating that Resource Saver mode is activated.
You can see that the RAM and CPU usage goes down to Zero.
You may have also noticed that the logo on the Mac Menu bar for docker has a leaf symbol on it when running in energy-saving mode.
This is not an AI-generated article but is demonstrated by a human running Docker Desktop version 4.23 on a M1 Mac running macOS Sonoma 14.0.
Please support independent contributors like Code2care by donating a coffee.
Buy me a coffee!