If you are having trouble with an application that running on your Mac machine, or your system seems sluggish or you see a spinning cursor, somethings not right and you would want to kill a running process that's gone rogue, here are some ways you can do so,
We have listed down 8 ways in which you can kill/force quit an application on macOS
- Keyboard shortcut: Command ⌘ + Option ⌥ + Escape
This is the most easiest and quickest way you can reach to the Force Quit Application, when this window opens up you would see a list of Applications that are currently running, if an application is not responding for a while, you can select it from here and click Force Quit. This is the easiest and the most used way to kill and Application.
- Using the Apple Menu Option:
Click on the Apple logo on the top right side of your Menu bar and Select "Force Quit (App name)". This will close the current application that you are working with.
- Using Activity Manager:
It is also one of the most preferred way to force close an application though the User Interfaces available on macOS (and most powerful one)
You can see stats of each process in detail - Process Name, %CPU utilization, CPU time, Threads, Idle Wake Ups, PID and User. Also you get beatification based on CPU, Memory, Energy, Disk and Network utilization. Double click on the Process Name and you would see a prompt - Click "Force Quit"
You can find it in /Applications/Utilities/ or open it from Spotlight with Command+Space and then type ‘Activity Monitor’ and the return key. Using Activity Monitor is very easy: Select the process name or ID you wish to kill (unresponsive apps will usually appear as red), and hit the red “Quit Process” button.⚡️ Does it look familiar to Windows Task Manager.
- Using Option ⌥ + Right Click on Docker
Click Option ⌥ and Right click on a app icon on docker and you should see "Force Quit" option to terminate that app.
- Using Keyboard shortcut: Command ⌘ + Option ⌥ + Escape + Shift
This is kind of similar to way no. 1, when you press these key combinations at once the current active app will be force closed. This is the best way to kill an app when your track-pad or mouse is not working.
- Using Terminal Command: kill
This is the most preferred way to kill an frozen application, or a process when you are a developer or a pro user, use kill [processname] to kill an application, kill -9 [processname] will force kill the app.
- Using Touch Bar
This option may not be available to all user, but surely Macbook users with a touch-bar - you may come access a case where the bar esc key is not working - you can use any of the above cases where esc key is not needed.
- If nothing works: Control + Command + Power to force restart Mac
- Pdf Text to Speech option in Mac OS X Preview App
- vi undo command
- Hide files and folders on Mac OS X
- Java location in Mac OS X
- Mac OS X Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine
- How to take Screenshots on Mac OS X without Keyboard
- Save webpage as pdf in Google Chrome for Mac OS X
- Safari appends .html extension to files that are downloaded
- How to See Hidden Folders and Files on Mac OS X
- How to Gzip a file directory on Mac OS X using Terminal Command
- osascript wants to make changes while Android Studio Installation on Mac OS X
- Find Java JRE Installation location Mac OS X
- Mac OS X Taking Screen Capture using Terminal
- How to Stop Photos App from auto loading when device connected to the Mac
- How to Setup maven on Mac OS X
- How to enable Do Not Disturb mode for Notification Center in Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- Mac OS X Stuck During Booting Gray Screen Logo and Spinner
- Kill or force quit stuck application or process in Mac OS X
- Turn on off volume change button sounds Mac OS X
- 4 Open Source SQLite Editor for Mac OS X , Windows and Linux
- Location of eclipse.ini file on Mac OS X
- Disable Chrome Notification bell from Mac OS X menu bar
- Google Search Hot Trends Screensaver for Mac OS X
- Transfer files between Android and Mac OS X using usb cable
- [Solved] Dynamic Web Module 3.0 requires Java 1.6 or newer Mac OSX
- Fetch More then 10 Links Per Page in Google Search Result - Google
- Android Studio: Cannot perform refactoring operation - Android-Studio
- eclipse maven m2e : Cannot complete the install - Eclipse
- Top 3 Awesome Text Editors developers prefer at workplace - Sublime
- Calculate Area of a Rectangle - C-Program
- What is Bootstrap Jumbotron and how to use it - Bootstrap
- Background task activation is spurious error - Windows 10, Office 2016, Office 365 - HowTos
- How to remove old 404 pages ulrs from Google crawler - Html
- Exception in thread main java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: package javaClass - Java
- SharePoint Server 2016 error Microsoft Office Online Server 2016 cant be installed on the same machine as a Microsoft SharePoint Server product - SharePoint
- 7 deadly java.lang.OutOfMemoryError in Java Programming - Java
- Unable to establish connection to adb : Android Studio Error - Android
- How to send WhatsApp message from your Android App using Intent - WhatsApp
- Portable Notepad++ for windows - NotepadPlusPlus