SharePoint provides a very useful functionality with Microsoft Office documents - you can make the office documents open directly in the browser and the clients need not worry about installing Office on their local machines. Moreover, they can add and modify the documents directly from the browser.
You require Office Web Apps (OWA) or Excel Services enabled to avail of this feature.Scenario
You are using SharePoint with Excel Services or Office Web Apps.
Due to a business requirement, you want documents in a particular Document Library to open locally on client machines instead of opening directly from the site in the browser.
To meet this requirement, you make the following setting on the document library.
Library -> Library Settings -> General Setting -> Advanced Settings -> Opening Documents in the Browser -> Default open behavior for browser-enabled documents -> Open in the client application -> Click OK and save settings
Note - There are 3 ways to set the default open behavior - Open in the client application, Open in the browser, Use the server default (Open in the browser)Problem
Even after making this setting, documents still open in the browser for some users. Documents open on the client machines for few users.Analysis
This is by functionality and there are 2 behaviors -
Microsoft Office installed on the client machine - Document will open on the client machine in this case.
Remember, you need to have Microsoft Office installed in order to work on office documents from your local machine.
Microsoft Office not installed on the client machine - Documents will open in the browser in this case. This is because you do not have a compatible tool available on the local machine to work with office documents.
- Java -Day of the week using Java 8 DayOfWeek Enum
- Java: TimeZone List with GMT/UTC Offset
- Struts 2 Hello World Example in Eclipse
- Formatting Double in Java [Examples]
- Convert Java Array to ArrayList Code Example
- Exception in thread main java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: package javaClass
- How to serialize-deserialize an object in java
- Maven Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
- [Fix] java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol
- [Java Threads] Should we extend Thread Class or implement Runnable interface
- connection.url property value in hibernate.cfg.xml for mysql
- IntelliJ: Error: Could not find or load main class, java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
- 5+ Fibonacci number Series Java Program Examples [ 0 1 1 2 3 ..]
- [Java] NoClassDefFoundError Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
- Java Split String by Spaces
- Java SE 8 Update 301 available with various bug fixes and security improvements
- Java - PatternSyntaxException
- Split a String in Java with Examples
- Convert byte array to String in Java
- Run Java Code Every Second
- Difference between using Scanner Class and String args for user input in Java
- Remove Trailing zeros BigDecimal Java
- Best free Decompiler for Java
- Unsupported major.minor version 52.0 in java
- java.io.IOException: Unable to locate resource handler.properties
- How to display only IP address using Terminal command - HowTos
- PHP drag and drop file upload tutorial using dropzone.js - PHP
- Spotify is down for iOS and Android globally - error no internet connection available, something went wrong - News
- Calculate Area and Circumference of Circle - C-Program
- Android Studio Change SDK Path - Android