SharePoint provides a very useful functionality with Microsoft Office documents - you can make the office documents open directly in the browser and the clients need not worry about installing Office on their local machines. Moreover, they can add and modify the documents directly from the browser.
You require Office Web Apps (OWA) or Excel Services enabled to avail of this feature.Scenario
You are using SharePoint with Excel Services or Office Web Apps.
Due to a business requirement, you want documents in a particular Document Library to open locally on client machines instead of opening directly from the site in the browser.
To meet this requirement, you make the following setting on the document library.
Library -> Library Settings -> General Setting -> Advanced Settings -> Opening Documents in the Browser -> Default open behavior for browser-enabled documents -> Open in the client application -> Click OK and save settings
Note - There are 3 ways to set the default open behavior - Open in the client application, Open in the browser, Use the server default (Open in the browser)Problem
Even after making this setting, documents still open in the browser for some users. Documents open on the client machines for few users.Analysis
This is by functionality and there are 2 behaviors -
Microsoft Office installed on the client machine - Document will open on the client machine in this case.
Remember, you need to have Microsoft Office installed in order to work on office documents from your local machine.
Microsoft Office not installed on the client machine - Documents will open in the browser in this case. This is because you do not have a compatible tool available on the local machine to work with office documents.
- How to verify if java is installed on the computer and get version detail
- Maven Eclipse (M2e) No archetypes currently available
- How to create StackOverflow error in java
- Eclipse : The type java.lang.CharSequence cannot be resolved. Indirectly referenced from required .class files
- Maven Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
- Unsupported major.minor version 52.0 in java
- java.io.IOException: Unable to locate resource handler.properties
- Remove Trailing zeros BigDecimal Java
- connection.url property value in hibernate.cfg.xml for mysql
- JSP Hello World Program Tutorial with Eclipse and Tomcat Server
- Your JBoss Application Server 7 is running However you have not yet added any users to be able to access the admin console
- [Hibernate] The method buildSessionFactory() from the type Configuration is deprecated
- Unhandled exception type InterruptedException : Java Threads
- Struts 2 : There is no Action mapped for namespace [/] and action name [form] associated with context path [/proj]
- How to serialize-deserialize an object in java
- JBoss stuck loading JBAS015899: AS 7.1.1.Final Brontes starting
- Unbound classpath container: JRE System Library [JavaSE-1.7]
- BeanDefinitionStoreException IOException parsing XML document from class path resource [spring.xml]
- Simple Struts 2 Tutorial in eclipse with tomcat 7 server
- 7 deadly java.lang.OutOfMemoryError in Java Programming
- [Solved] com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServletContextListener ClassNotFoundException
- List of Java Keywords
- SharePoint Open in the client application document opens in browser
- Eclipse : A java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development kit (JDK) must be available
- Create simple struts2 project using maven commands
- Notepad++ Convert text from lower to upper case - NotepadPlusPlus
- Difference between using Scanner Class and String args for user input in Java - Java
- How to Change Eclipse Default Web Browser - Eclipse
- Facebook : Warning: Request without access token missing application ID or client token - Facebook
- How to recover unsaved notepad file Windows 10 - NotepadPlusPlus
- This Toast was not created with Toast.makeText() : Android RuntimeException - Android
- Maven Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 - Java
- Toast not getting displayed Android App - Android
- How to reset eclipse layout - Android
- Upload docx file using PHP script - PHP
- Comprehensive 256 Ascii code table with Html Hex IBM Microsoft Key - Html
- reCAPTCHA Implementation Tutorial - CSS
- import servlet API to eclipse project (javax.servlet cannot be resolved error) - Java
- Android: Unknown error code during application install : - Android
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception - SharePoint