SharePoint provides a very useful functionality with Microsoft Office documents - you can make the office documents open directly in the browser and the clients need not worry about installing Office on their local machines. Moreover, they can add and modify the documents directly from the browser.
You require Office Web Apps (OWA) or Excel Services enabled to avail of this feature.Scenario
You are using SharePoint with Excel Services or Office Web Apps.
Due to a business requirement, you want documents in a particular Document Library to open locally on client machines instead of opening directly from the site in the browser.
To meet this requirement, you make the following setting on the document library.
Library -> Library Settings -> General Setting -> Advanced Settings -> Opening Documents in the Browser -> Default open behavior for browser-enabled documents -> Open in the client application -> Click OK and save settings
Note - There are 3 ways to set the default open behavior - Open in the client application, Open in the browser, Use the server default (Open in the browser)Problem
Even after making this setting, documents still open in the browser for some users. Documents open on the client machines for few users.Analysis
This is by functionality and there are 2 behaviors -
Microsoft Office installed on the client machine - Document will open on the client machine in this case.
Remember, you need to have Microsoft Office installed in order to work on office documents from your local machine.
Microsoft Office not installed on the client machine - Documents will open in the browser in this case. This is because you do not have a compatible tool available on the local machine to work with office documents.
- Java XML-RPC 3.1.x based web service example
- Java XML-RPC java.net.BindException: Address already in use
- Java Date Time display timezone offset
- [Java] NoClassDefFoundError Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
- Exception in thread main java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: package javaClass
- [Hibernate] The method buildSessionFactory() from the type Configuration is deprecated
- Convert String to int in Java
- Run Java Code Every Second
- Your JBoss Application Server 7 is running However you have not yet added any users to be able to access the admin console
- IntelliJ: Error: Could not find or load main class, java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
- Android : Connection with adb was interrupted 0 attempts have been made to reconnect - Android
- INVALID FILE NAME: MUST CONTAIN ONLY [a-z0-9_.] Android Eclipse Error - Eclipse
- Failed to find provider info for com.facebook.katana.provider.PlatformProvider - Android
- Align html element at the center of page vertically and horizontally - Html
- Android Disable EditText from Auto Focus on Activity load - Android
- How to Convert CSV file to SQL Script using Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- How to create StackOverflow error in java - Java
- Location of eclipse.ini file on Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- List of jar files for Jax-ws (SOAP) based Java Web Services - Java
- JSON Schema Validator Libraries: JSON Tutorial - Json-Tutorial
- List of Java versions - Java
- Static IP MTNL available at Rs. 200 per month - HowTos
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements - SharePoint
- How to export bookmarks from Google Chrome Browser - Chrome
- Fetch as Google Crawl Error or Redirected Status - Google