SharePoint along with Office Web Apps (OWA) or Excel Services provides a feature where users can open Microsoft Office documents within the browser.
Though this is a very handy and useful feature, there are some limitations.
Sometimes while opening an excel file, you will come across this error message
The message says clearly says that SharePoint does not support certain features when opening excel in the browser -
The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser: • Data validation • Sheet protection Would you like to try and open this file in Excel? Learn more about unsupported features
Clicking on "Learn more about unsupported features" may bring up a popup window saying "Need assistance ?" asking you to type what you want. Not useful at all. But SharePoint at least provides an option asking to open the file in Excel. Good if you have MS Office installed.Use below options to continue working -
- Click Yes on the message box to open the file in Microsoft Excel and work on the local machine
- Use the 'open with explorer view' option to open the file directly and not within the browser
- Change the setting for document library containing excel file forcing SharePoint to open the file in the client application
- Remove unsupported features from an excel sheet like data validation and retry. It Will work, but I'm not sure who would want to do that.
You can search MSDN for getting a list of supported and unsupported excel editing features with Excel Services and Office Web Apps.
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- Update SharePoint Online List Item using REST API, HTML, Spfx, Postman
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- Create SharePoint list from Excel spreadsheet and import table
- Send Email using SharePoint PowerShell command, SMTP server
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- The service instance
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to change order of fields on new item form for SharePoint Online list
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- Android AlertDialog with 3 buttons example - Android
- How to docker remove a container when it exits - Docker
- How to remove/delete a directory in Linux/macOs - Linux
- Java 8: Get First and Last Date of the Week for Given Date - Java
- Calculate Area of ellipse - C-Program
- Delete file using PHP code : unlink() - PHP
- Find Difference of two numbers - C-Program
- TypeError: must be str, not int [Fix Python] - Python