SharePoint along with Office Web Apps (OWA) or Excel Services provides a feature where users can open Microsoft Office documents within the browser.
Though this is a very handy and useful feature, there are some limitations.
Sometimes while opening an excel file, you will come across this error message
The message says clearly says that SharePoint does not support certain features when opening excel in the browser -
The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser: • Data validation • Sheet protection Would you like to try and open this file in Excel? Learn more about unsupported features
Clicking on "Learn more about unsupported features" may bring up a popup window saying "Need assistance ?" asking you to type what you want. Not useful at all. But SharePoint at least provides an option asking to open the file in Excel. Good if you have MS Office installed.Use below options to continue working -
- Click Yes on the message box to open the file in Microsoft Excel and work on the local machine
- Use the 'open with explorer view' option to open the file directly and not within the browser
- Change the setting for document library containing excel file forcing SharePoint to open the file in the client application
- Remove unsupported features from an excel sheet like data validation and retry. It Will work, but I'm not sure who would want to do that.
You can search MSDN for getting a list of supported and unsupported excel editing features with Excel Services and Office Web Apps.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- [Solved] Mic not working on iPhone 7 after iOS 14 upgrade - Apple
- ASCII to HEX and HEX to ASCII Conversion Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Changed AD user display name showing old name in SharePoint - SharePoint
- Find and Replace Multiple different words with the same word in a text file - NotepadPlusPlus
- Adding Sub Headings to Bootstrap Header tags - Html