SharePoint provides the great capability of discovering contents, discussions, people, etc from your SharePoint environment, which leverages the Search service. Though this is a quite useful feature, there are a few limitations that sometimes need to be handled in order to meet the requirements and desired results/output.Maximum search results returned limitation
SharePoint 2010 search has a default limit of 10000 maximum results for the submitted queries.
This is something the developer might not be aware of initially but will encounter an exception if tried to get results more than 10000 results using the RowLimit of FullTextSqlQuery.
If RowLimit is not specified, only 50 results will be returned by default.
See the below line from developer code.
query.RowLimit = 15000;
ResultTableCollection queryResults = query.Execute();
In this code, the developer wants to get 15000 results for the provided query, but the code throws an exception as Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E01.
This is because the default limit set by SharePoint is 10000, moreover this cannot be changed through Central Administration. One way to change this setting is by using below PowerShell command.
$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication
Now if the above code is executed, the query will return a maximum of 15000 results. The limit can be set of 10000 again using the same PowerShell script as above and changing Config:qp_MaxResultsReturned to 10000.Important Note
This PowerShell script will modify the related Search Service Application configuration for the entire FARM, so please consult your SharePoint Admin before making any updates. This is not recommended in live Production environments and such changes should be made only by the Admins.
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- Update SharePoint Online List Item using REST API, HTML, Spfx, Postman
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- Create SharePoint list from Excel spreadsheet and import table
- Send Email using SharePoint PowerShell command, SMTP server
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- The service instance
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to change order of fields on new item form for SharePoint Online list
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- Android Development - How to switch between two Activities - Android
- Set Title to Android AlertDialog - Android
- [Solution] Exception in thread main java.util.EmptyStackException - Java
- Remove all stopped containers in Docker using prune command - Docker
- How to save webpage as pdf using macOS Safari - MacOS
- incorrect line ending: found carriage return (\r) without corresponding newline (\n) - Android
- How to Configure Eclipse keymap in IntelliJ IDE - Android-Studio
- [Soluiton] You already have the latest version of Android Studio installed - Android