Follow below steps to create thesaurus :
1. Navigate to path “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Data\Office Server\Applications\xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx-query-0\Config” on your SharePoint Server
Note : This is the SharePoint Server which hosts the Search Query component files. So the location may vary depending on how your FARM and Search Service Application is configured, but usually it is located as shown above within the Config folder of GUID-query-X folder named.
2. Locate file “tsenu.xml”, copy and keep a backup original file. This will be useful if something goes wrong.
3. Open “tsenu.xml” file and remove the commented lines (<!-- Commented out, -->)
4. Add/Modify the “<replacement>” node to add a new synonym for existing term as shown below
<replacement> <pat>BHARAT</pat> <pat>HINDUSTAN</pat> <sub>INDIA</sub> </replacement> <sub> = actual text <pat> = synonym
5.To add more synonyms, repeat the <replacement> nodes.
6. Save the file and close it.
7. Navigate to “Services.msc” and restart the “SharePoint Server Search 14” service.
Saw the good part ? This does not require any deployment or downtime. So can be planned and done whenever required.
8. Perform a search query using synonym and check results
Tags : SharePoint ; Search ; Thesaurus ; Alias ; Synonyms