If you have a xml file with data unformatted, notepad++ is a great tool to format (indent or prettify) your xml file contents.
But the XML formatting plugin is not added to notepad++ by default. So you need to download libXML2-based plugin called XML tools
Dowloading XML tools plugin
- Go to notepad++ menu, under Plugins -> Plugin Manager -> Show plugin Manager.
Now look for XML tools and tick the respective check-box, and Download the plugin.
You will be asked to restart notepad++ after the plugin is installed to take effect.
Lets test the xml plugin
- Open your xml file that needs to be formatted.
Now go to Plugins -> Plugin Manager -> XML Tools -> Pretty Print (XML Only), you will see that the data of the xml file is now well formatted.
With XML tools plugin you can do a lot with xml files, some of the features this tool has,
- Pretty print.
- XML Syntax Checker.
- Linarize XML.
- XML Schema (XSD) + DTD Validation.
- XML tag autoclose.
- Current XML Path.
- XPath expression evaluation.
- Conversion XML to Text/Text to XML.
- Comment / Uncomment.